Tornote - Self-destructing notes (Docker)

Docker Tornote - Self-destructing notes (Docker)

Currently reading
Docker Tornote - Self-destructing notes (Docker)

looks good but keep in mind that hose values (user and pass) should be a general user and pass for the whole postgres instance not just this tornote app.

You will be able to create multiple DBs running on it so to eliminate the need to use separate postgres instance for each app, configure this one to be your main postgres instance.

To get a UI to administer this instance try and run another docker instance and configure pgAdmin 4 to maintain your Postgres DBs.

looks good but keep in mind that hose values (user and pass) should be a general user and pass for the whole postgres instance not just this tornote app.
Yes. This is for the whole postgres instance. I’ll only have it for tornote. You’re thinking big @Rusty. I only need to run this torenote thing 😅

To get a UI to administer this instance try and run another docker instance and configure pgAdmin 4 to maintain your Postgres DBs.
No thanks. I’ll stop while I’m ahead. It runs. I don’t need to administer it. I’m not pushing my luck. I’ll save it for the next step, tornote. Maybe when tornote runs I’ll visit this pg4Admin but not before. Might jinx it 🤣

But why does it need a SQL database?! Is that to store the generated notes?

But why does it need a SQL database?! Is that to store the generated notes?
there is a single table in the database with 2 data types. Guessing URL that will keep the message until it is read will be stored in the DB and when it is read the mess gets destroyed. Also I can generate a number of messages before they are read so they have to live somwhere.

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 15.22.27.png

That seems self-defeating... unless that's your website.
I know. In a way it is. That’s why I want to have this Tornote running. That’s when it’s my website.

Lately I’ve been using the DS to pass the info, but it’s not as easy and straight forward as these services. Sometimes I’m in position of choosing between this or a plain text email when a company can’t take PayPal (or they take it but will pass the PayPal charge to me!) and I’m forced to share my CC info and they expect me to email it back to them in my reply!

One thing I found when using the DS’ “share a public link” is that the receiving party must download to view. I’m trying to avoid that. I found that if I use Drive I can share a picture and it will be shown immediately, anything else must be dloaded. The picture is not easy to copy/paste from.

Last edited:
postgres://pguser:s3cr3t@youthost:5432/dbname?sslmode=disable
3 questions...
  • Is 5432 the container port or the local port (I had to choose an alternate local port)
  • sslmode=disable sounds bad from a newbie standpoint. Why is this required?
  • I got postgres running, but when I launch via browser URL (IP:port) nothing happens. Is that normal?

Is 5432 the container port or the local port (I had to choose an alternate local port)
Your local port that postgres is listening on

sslmode=disable sounds bad from a newbie standpoint. Why is this required?
Without it you need to have ssl configured on db layer and I don’t have it so migrating app loading problem with this parameter

I got postgres running, but when I launch via browser URL (IP:port) nothing happens. Is that normal?
Atm, the site should load a form for you but the create note button is not working. Still waiting on the dev to fix it.

Well done! About 1h ago the dev for Tornote has started to make changes and troubleshooting errors. Still no headway on that front. I will keep this thread up to date when there will be a working docker solution for it, so we can convert it to a Resource once it is done.

Well done! About 1h ago the dev for Tornote has started to make changes and troubleshooting errors. Still no headway on that front. I will keep this thread up to date when there will be a working docker solution for it, so we can convert it to a Resource once it is done.
Thanks. We can try Tornote too when it works. Why not. Having options is good :)

Rusty submitted a new resource:

Tornote - Self-destructing notes (Docker) - Self-destructing notes written on Go with Stanford Javascript Crypto Library for client-side encrypt

View attachment 1804

Short tutorial for running Tornote docker image.

Using this image Docker Hub you can set up and run Tornote, a simple self-destructing note environment.

You will need a PostgresDB instance running with a database of your choice and a user with R/W permissions.

Considering that there is no info on the hub page you will need to consult the GitHub page here...

Read more about this resource...

So be sure that you have a working PostgresDB instance running with a DB name of your choice as well as username and pass. All 3 parameters are part of the URL variable.
I think that postgres is my problem but it is running in Docker... with only "invalid length of a startup packet" warning in log. Yet Tornote still crashes within a minute of launch (I'm using the Synology UI to update the image).

How do I test that postgress is running correctly. There wasn't much to add... user, password, db name...

I think that postgres is my problem but it is running in Docker... with only "invalid length of a startup packet" warning in log. Yet Tornote still crashes within a minute of launch (I'm using the Synology UI to update the image).

How do I test that postgress is running correctly. There wasn't much to add... user, password, db name...
Try and run PostgresDB and PgAdmin container as well for management. Use it to connect to your Postgres instance and configure the DB, user and permissions. If that is working stable then you can move forward. Also use your PC to install pgadmin on it and try to connect to a running docker instance. If that is working, you are good to go.

Be sure also to telnet to postgres port (5432 by default) and see if that works. If it does than you are sure that postgres instance is up and running.

So far SnapPass has better options if you have that up already.
I do and I may leave it at that... But I enjoy the challenge... My Postgres runs (at least its status is running), but Tornote crashes within a minute of launch. My comparable Postgres/Tornote screens are...
VyLiNuv.png

kqdlYPI.png

6ZqSyWX.png

The obvious differences are, that I defined a Postgres db "tornote" in its environmental variable.

In your case, the Tornote DATABASE_URL shows a "tornote' database, but it seems undefined in Postgres. Also I see you used a EV "PRODUCTION" ... I'm not sure what that is/does.

Thank for your help

I do and I may leave it at that... But I enjoy the challenge... My Postgres runs (at least its status is running), but Tornote crashes within a minute of launch. My comparable Postgres/Tornote screens are...
VyLiNuv.png

kqdlYPI.png

6ZqSyWX.png

The obvious differences are, that I defined a Postgres db "tornote" in its environmental variable.

In your case, the Tornote DATABASE_URL shows a "tornote' database, but it seems undefined in Postgres. Also I see you used a EV "PRODUCTION" ... I'm not sure what that is/does.

Thank for your help
have a read here... I have compiled a bit longer tutorial that might explain some questions

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.