total NAS noob needs help with volume/pools, for multiple physical drives.

Currently reading
total NAS noob needs help with volume/pools, for multiple physical drives.

NAS
Synology DS 920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I want to set-up a new DS 220+ using Synology Hybrid Raid, at least I think I want to use SHR. using 2 - 4T drives

Drive 1: space "A" for files, videos, music, pics. (size all remaining space after b,c,e deducted about 1.7tb)
space "B" for C drive backup (only critical data) (approx 225 gig allotment)
space "C" for D drive backup (full drive) ( approx 850 Gb allotment)
space "D" for E drive backup (full drive) (approx 850 Gb allotment)

Drive 2: redundant or mirror of Drive 1.

I don't have a clue what pools are and how they work compared to normal partitioned volumes

I guess I should mention, previously I backed up my system's physical C: D: E: using an external 4TB drive via esata. I partitioned the 4TB into 4 Logical drive partitions, using the sizes I mentioned above. To maintain some redundancy, I had another external esata 2TB drive, that was partitioned into 2- 1tb logical drive partitions which were used to backup physical D & E drives where most of the daily changes occurred. I would alternate backups from the 4tb to the 2tb.

I think my hangup is I don't see where to partition the large 4TB drives into 4 logical partitions, no video mentions it.

Can I make multiple Volumes to represent each logical drive space for the physical C D E drives listed above that I want to backup? OR would I use folders for locations as logical drives to backup physical C: D: & E:..

It seems every example via YT or webpage showing initial setup, uses a volume for 1 entire backup drive ie bay 1 and bay 2 drive for redundancy.
Most people need multiple physical or logical drives backed up, like my situation, it's amazing no one thought to share how to do backup for multiple drives to one backup drive and mirror to the 2nd drive bay drive.

I'm not asking a, b, c. how to do my setup, although that would be greatly appreciated. Rather point me to a few articles or even videos that can put me on the right track to have my setup.

Can I make multiple Volumes to represent each logical drive space for the physical C D E drives listed above that I want to backup? OR would I use folders for locations as logical drives to backup physical C: D: & E:..
You can do multiple volumes in storage manager or multiple shared folders on a single volume using the control panel

Most people need multiple physical or logical drives backed up, like my situation, it's amazing no one thought to share how to do backup for multiple drives to one backup drive and mirror to the 2nd drive bay drive.
that’s because it depends on the backup software that you plan on using

So 1st decide what kind of setup you want and what software will you be using for backup. Then we can move forward.

a pool is an ensemble of HDD and/or SSD that will be used to create a raid "drive".

RAID 0 = stripe (no protection)
RAID 1 = mirror
RAID 5 = parity (total size is (n-1)*S, where n is the number of drives and S the smallest disk size)
RAID 6 = double parity (TS=(n-2)*S, ...)

SHR is more or less a raid 5 or 1
SHR 2 is like a raid 6

I am not sure if you can create multiple volumes with protection (against disk failure) with only two disks, but you can create multiple shared folders in a single volume.

microsoft C, D, etc... drives cannot really be transposed as is to DSM, since linux does not function that way.

What you can do is create one shared folder per "ms drive" and call them MSdriveC for example.

In windows you can create a persistant network drive Z: where you can access your different "ms drives" as folders.

Syno HyperBackup manages per folder backups (towards third party clouds like microsoft, google, amazon, etc. amongst other type of destination)

Syno Drive can do backups and sync jobs.

hope this helps

I don't have a clue what pools are and how they work compared to normal partitioned volumes
This might help clarify the relationships. It's not mine. Don't know where I found it :)

3AD5B1D4-9728-4DA4-A1F8-950B4BA26A76.jpeg

Hi Trollti Thank YOU so much for taking the time to make such a good reply that addresses my noob lack of understanding over such simple things in the synology system setup & nomenclature for ways to setup & back up.

Also, WST16's image helps too. Thank You!

I have been reading and watching videos I sort of arrived at most of this but haven't figured out which backup method/app would best handle my needs. I'm sure as my knowledge evolves I will probably change apps and setups.

Basically create a storage pool, add a volume and use folders to represent the drives c:d:e: Create additional volumes for my cell phone, Chrome laptop.

Yes EAZ1964, you probably are right :)

The best thing about stumbling along is I discovered this forum, and it's helpful community.

Basically create a storage pool, add a volume and use folders to represent the drives c:d:e: Create additional volumes for my cell phone, Chrome laptop.
The default installation, if you just followed it, when setting up your DS220+ will be:
  • All disks in 1 Storage Pool using SHR-1 (like RAID 1 / mirrored RAID), and only supports 1 Volume (multi-volume support = No)
    • 1 Volume formatted with BTRFS file system
      • Shared Folders created to match the features and packages you install.
You will not be able to add a second Volume to this Storage Pool as 1. all space is assigned to this volume, and 2. it wasn't created to support more volumes. Unless you managed to spot the setup question about 'performance/flexibility' and setup the array and volume differently then you will only have flexibility in where to store data though the use of Shared Folders, and you can create these pretty much as you wish.

The Shared Folders, when accessed by Windows Networking (SMB), will be individual network shares.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.