Currently reading
Transfer images onto NAS

NAS
DS420j
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am in the process of transferring 10 years of images onto my nas, I have over the years arranged files by all raw folder, Year, and within those years
separate folders titled yyyy_month_day. Using this file structure I find myself having to recreate each and every folder and sub, and then populating
it from the computer.
Is there a less painful method of transferring these files ??

Last edited:
I gues you are trying to copy your images to the default "Photo" share on your NAS, which for permission reasons cann't be done directly.
- Make a share you have read/write acces to.
- Copy all your Year folders, containing sub-folders, to that share.
- Use "File station" to move all folders from the above share you made, to "Photo".
- Then use reindex to refresh and create thumbnails of images.
You can delete the share you made above, if you wish.
Mind you, the last step, "Reindex", can take a while!
1000's of images can take days to get indexed, depending on image-size.

I gues you are trying to copy your images to the default "Photo" share on your NAS, which for permission reasons cann't be done directly.
- Use "File station" to move all folders from the above share you made, to "Photo".
Thanx Speed for your reply
I did create a separate share , its just a pain the A.. to recreate file structure with Subs
-- post merged: --

side note :these are all DNG and cr2 speed has been good but like I said before a pain

complicated,
everything in your NAS is shareable, include /Photos or /photo (smb)
You can upload photos and videos to "/home/Photos" (with Personal Space enabled) or "/photo" (with Shared Space enabled) in File Station or from other file sharing protocols
because it’s about RAW from a camera and not a daily mess from smart phone, use the same structure as is, why to complicate your life?

I would like to start with:
- check of duplicates in your source storage
- then transfer the data to the target
- then tune/maintain the data wit exiftool

more in this thread:

you can use the @WST16 tool (good point), but:
- some files have mess in exif metadata (date taken vs modification date); then the exiftool check/repair first is more useful

Last edited:
everything in your NAS is shareable, include /Photos or /photo (smb)
Personaly I had a bad expierence when I manualy shared my /photo, was under DSM6.
You couldn't do it in "Control panel | Shared folder" or via "Filestation (right click | Properties)".
Photostation had complete control over user permissions.

In DSM7 default Synology photos has a strange setting on /Photo.
Compare "Control panel | Shared folder | Select "Photo" | edit | Permission ": Show all users
with "Filestation (right click | Properties | Permission)" : Show only Administrators.
I agree it would save time and just share /Photo and copy images directly into it.
Insteadt of suggesting somthing that could lead to inconsistent permissions (see below), I made a "safe" suggestion.

DSM6 Long story:
Installing Photo station creates default folder /photo.
You could only set permissions in Photo station, and not via Control panel.
I stopped Photo station, deleted /Photo, created /photo, then started Photo station.
Now I was able to share, set permissions for, /photo in Control panel, and in Photo station.
Nice! ... Except now all users had acces to all images, no matter what permissions i had set in Photo station.
I ended up uninstalling Photo station, deleting /photo, and then reinstalling Photo station.
-- post merged: --

I did create a separate share , its just a pain the A.. to recreate file structure with Subs
From you question I gatherd that your images was already sorted in year folders and date-time sub-folders.
So I kind of get from you comment, they are sorted that way in you Mac photo app, but the underlaying image-files are in one big pile (folder)?
If so, I'm sure there is a Mac app that can read meta-data, and sort them in your wanted folder structure (sorry I can not help there).

the main question is:
if some with the raw photos is driven to share the photos to some out of his house = up to 5 fixed users? Again raw files (DNG), it isn’t about more useful portable format.
or
if some needs the NAS storage instead of the storage in his computer to secure his photo archive/edit processing? Is there existing catalog workflow like Adobe?
Then no need Syno Photos environment.
or
is someone needs the NAS environment just for a backup of primary storage?

No-one except OP knows the answer better.

this consideration is based on the OP request defined in #1 and #3
- DNG
- as is = computer storage

Question first, then answer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.