Currently reading
Transfer old NAS drives vs Clean install

NAS
DS213J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I just got my new DS920+ last night. Wahoo!. Thanks all for the advice leading me to this choice. Now I have to figure out how I'll configure it. I have 2 usable old 2TB WD20EFXR drives in the corrent DS213J. I could just move those drives into the 920 boot up and go. Or, I could format what I have on their and start over with a clean salte. There's not much there, I was just using it to learn and test on the J series. I think I may have created folders which the apps dont' like or the apps like Drive and Moments require you to use the synology created specified folders. So I bullucks that up. I had set it up as 6.2 because at the time I believe 7.x was not supported on that J series. So, is there any advantege to keeping my current data and setup, despite having broken the folder setup "rules"? Or should I just start clean? Everything that is/was on the DS213J is backed up in 2 locations.

Last edited:
I could just move those drives into the 920 boot up and go
That would be sad, as you would hamstring that volume with ext4 formatting, and a 16 TB volume cap.
I had set it up as 6.2 because at the time I believe 7.x was not supported on that J series.
The 213j has insufficient memory for DSM7. However, Synology permits upgrade to DSM7 hoping that it will lead 213j owners to purchase a new unit. Forced obsolescence, is a devious tripwire used by shady characters.

I would start clean (and with some significantly larger drives). Good luck!

As already said, you would be better starting with storage being built from the beginning with the DS920+. This way you get the ability to create volumes formatted using Btrfs, required for some packages and really a must for Drive to be as space efficient as it can. You'll also be able to use Active Backup for Business, Virtual Machine Manager, and Snapshots/Replication.

I agree with @fredbert. I came from some earlier DiskStation and started with a DS920+, asking the same things as you do. The advice was, to cutting off old braids, as you would always keep some old, unfavorable settings and restrictions, never having the ability to change them in any chance later, when you "upgrade" from your old system.
So my approach, after this advice was, to buy and install the DS920+ clean, then add the folders and permissions I need and rcopy (or r-sync) the files between the two DS. It's a bit of work, but in the end I guess all of us like working and experimenting with the system. I then sold the old DS. What can I say, it was a bit of work, but to be honest, the best way to do it, following the advice of the community. Everything is clear, tidy, nothing is messed up.

Regards,

MARV

Thanks, I was leaning that way. So, should I do a factory reset on the old DS213J to formate the drives before transferring them to the DS920+, or should I just move them over as is and let the DS920+ setup wipe and load the disks?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.