Solved Transmission 3.00-17 port issues

Currently reading
Solved Transmission 3.00-17 port issues

Operating system
  1. Windows
Has anyone upgraded to the SynoCommunity version 3.00 of Transmission and all of a sudden, all ports that were open on the previous release are now closed? This happened on my DS918+ and well as a new install for the DS720+ using the same ports (with port forwarding from my router) that have been opened for years and worked on every previous web interface of Transmission. Is there a setting that I need to change from the previous release to the new one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advnance

Hi, thanks for replying. I wouldn't think why an upgrade or newer version would do this either. I thought it was a problem with the new install because I had just got the DS720+ and thought maybe it wasn't configured properly but when I upgraded my DS918+ to the same version, I had the same problem. In the settings for Transmission in the web interface under the network tab, the listening port is closed (currently set to 50001) and I have "use port forwarding from my router" checked. In the router, I have a port forwarding setting for TCP/UDP for the IP address of my NAS drive set to port 50001 like I always have except it was always open until this latest upgrade. I've even tried random port at launch and get the same results. Nothing I've tried will open the listening ports so that my torrents will be connectable or even visible on the torrents sites I am on. Any suggestions? Thanks

So actually the port on your router is now all of a sudden closed after you have upgraded Transmission? My suggestion would be to stop using PC Transmission version and switch to the Docker on and again manually configure port forward on your router.

Never have I ever had a situation that an app update would mess up my custom-defined port forward settings.

OK, I can try Docker. I have never used it before so I'll do a little research and see how to get Transmission working on it. Thanks for the advice.

Interesting discovery. Just as I was logging in to my DS720+ to try and figure out Docker, I noticed there is an upgrade ready for Transmission to version 3.00-18. I upgraded the software, loaded it and viola.......the port I assigned to the NAS is now open. Maybe there was a hiccup in the previous version. The DS918+ doesn't have the upgrade available yet but I will post another update when I upgrade it, hopefully with news of success. Anyway, thanks for reading my post. I'm relieved at least 1 of the 2 devices is now resolved.

Interesting discovery. Just as I was logging in to my DS720+ to try and figure out Docker, I noticed there is an upgrade ready for Transmission to version 3.00-18. I upgraded the software, loaded it and viola.......the port I assigned to the NAS is now open. Maybe there was a hiccup in the previous version. The DS918+ doesn't have the upgrade available yet but I will post another update when I upgrade it, hopefully with news of success. Anyway, thanks for reading my post. I'm relieved at least 1 of the 2 devices is now resolved.
Glad it worked out for you. I would still encourage you to have a look at docker considering that 3rd party non-Synology apps will have less and less support in the future.

Synology is known to kill support for a large number of apps from time to time, so having a backup solution that is not tied to their ecosystem might be the right way in the long run.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out to have as a backup option. Incidentally, the DS918+ got the version upgrade just a little while ago and that port is also now open so all is good now. Thanks again for the help.

It hard to start here, because I didn't have any Synology device, instead I use Buffalo LS420D which use armada370 so it working partially. With 2.94 eveything works ok. But now on the new 3.00-18, they require new kind of certificates for https. And I don't really understand what that's means when it said Use DSM ca certificate for https. Because of that I am unable to connect with https trackers.

it transmission log, it sates something like this:
Code:
[2020-08-07 17:50:00.972] web will verify tracker certs using envvar CURL_CA_BUNDLE: none (web.c:456)
[2020-08-07 17:50:00.972] web NB: this only works if you built against libcurl with openssl or gnutls, NOT nss (web.c:457)
[2020-08-07 17:50:00.972] web NB: invalid certs will show up as 'Could not connect to tracker' like many other errors (web.c:458)

So how can I fix those things? Really appreciate with help here, Buffalo forums kind of very disappointed.

It hard to start here, because I didn't have any Synology device, instead I use Buffalo LS420D which use armada370 so it working partially. With 2.94 eveything works ok. But now on the new 3.00-18, they require new kind of certificates for https. And I don't really understand what that's means when it said Use DSM ca certificate for https. Because of that I am unable to connect with https trackers.

it transmission log, it sates something like this:
Code:
[2020-08-07 17:50:00.972] web will verify tracker certs using envvar CURL_CA_BUNDLE: none (web.c:456)
[2020-08-07 17:50:00.972] web NB: this only works if you built against libcurl with openssl or gnutls, NOT nss (web.c:457)
[2020-08-07 17:50:00.972] web NB: invalid certs will show up as 'Could not connect to tracker' like many other errors (web.c:458)

So how can I fix those things? Really appreciate with help here, Buffalo forums kind of very disappointed.
Can you explain in more detail what the exact setup is in this case? What method of running Transmission are you using?

Can you explain in more detail what the exact setup is in this case? What method of running Transmission are you using?
Well, I'll explain with the transmission2.94 first, because it run without any problems so far. I downloaded and extracted the package on synocommunity for amarda370 and only need 3 directories (bin, lib and share). But in bin, I don't use the busybox because it will lead to kernel panic or something, NAS won't boot with that. Here is the picture of files that I used in bin, lib:

bin.png
lib.png

also it has cert.pem and other at root so I extract them too. transmission2.94 up and running so far so good. Later I want to update to latest 3.00 because I saw it has some bugs fixed that some trackers would not connect and will say "scrape error" most of the time.

Like above picture, but this time transmission3.00 update new library with libcurl.so.4.6.0, I assume this is about cert file because there is no cert.pem in root anymore. and libcurl required libc-2.17 (my NAS firmware only libc.2-13). I can't compile glibc-2.17 for my NAS so far and transmission won't run without new glibc-2.17. So I still use the old glibc-2.13 and libcurl-4.5.0. transmission still up and running, but this time without cert, trackers with https can't connect anymore. And the reason like above comment of transmission log complain about cert envvar.

Right now, I'm running transmission2.94 with command like this:
Code:
/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/disk1/share/.config/transmission-daemon/ -e /mnt/disk1/data/trans.log

I'm not aware of transmission-daemon 3.00 will have some arguements like curl_ca_bundle or envvar... to point to cert file if possible.

Thanks for reply.

As much as I appreciate the response, I would suggest to go the Docker route if possible on your NAS and not use the Package Center/manual hacks to host Transmission or any other app for that matter.

Is using Docker an option for you?
Thanks you, Docker is not even an option for me, this NAS run minimal linux (I think). And I do a lot of different and dangerous stuff that allow me to touch the file systems, for example: ssh, ipkg, pip..... So get transmission up and running is a great effort for me, also get flexget to monitor rss and transfer to transmission is a pain. I have another option is install debian on it, but there is a lot of hardware problem need to fix that I don't know if I can get over with it or not.

So I did do the hacking things on this NAS, it has bittorrent client as default, but this client is banned from most private trackers. Very blame. That's why I tried to use transmission.

Thanks anyway. I would happy with 2.94 for now. Maybe I'll try to mount the cert in different way for transmission3.00.

Thanks you, Docker is not even an option for me, this NAS run minimal linux (I think). And I do a lot of different and dangerous stuff that allow me to touch the file systems, for example: ssh, ipkg, pip..... So get transmission up and running is a great effort for me, also get flexget to monitor rss and transfer to transmission is a pain. I have another option is install debian on it, but there is a lot of hardware problem need to fix that I don't know if I can get over with it or not.

So I did do the hacking things on this NAS, it has bittorrent client as default, but this client is banned from most private trackers. Very blame. That's why I tried to use transmission.

Thanks anyway. I would happy with 2.94 for now. Maybe I'll try to mount the cert in different way for transmission3.00.
In any case, it would be nice to move this conversation to a separate thread if you have any questions but do bear in mind that his is Synology appliance specific forum. So helping out on some custom "NAS" solutions might take time and effort on both sides. You are welcome to try and ask your questions ofc, but keep in mind that the responses might not start flaying in so easily.

In any case, it would be nice to move this conversation to a separate thread if you have any questions but do bear in mind that his is Synology appliance specific forum. So helping out on some custom "NAS" solutions might take time and effort on both sides. You are welcome to try and ask your questions ofc, but keep in mind that the responses might not start flaying in so easily.
Hi again,

Thanks for helping. Now I just figured out how to load cert for transmission and it works now, yayyy!

just run export CURL_CA_BUNDLE="/paht/to/cacert.pem"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.