Currently reading
Transmission on DS220j or other rtd1296 devices like DS218/418

NAS
DS218
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, I am exploring getting a basic NAS for backup and run private torrents. I understand that there are Transmission builds for rtd1296 devices on SynoCommunity as an alternative to running Docker and torrent clients on Synology plus/Intel models.

Is the Realtek RTD1296 with 512mb RAM sufficient to seed about 150 torrents in Transmission?

Also if I want to torrent with a VPN say NordVPN, I just have to set up the openvpn profile in Control Panel > Network?

Thanks for the help! Edit: apologies for not marking it as a question.

Is the Realtek RTD1296 with 512mb RAM sufficient to seed about 150 torrents in Transmission?
The CPU is a quad-core one so that will be no problem at all. The only problem might be lack of RAM. DSM alone likes to have a bit of breathing space and if you start to push a lot of traffic over those torrents you might end up with slow responses.

In the past I have had a dual-core NAS with 4GB ram and about 200-/+ active seeds and it was doing just fine with no problem at all, so just bear that in mind.

Also if I want to torrent with a VPN say NordVPN, I just have to set up the openvpn profile in Control Panel > Network?
Correct, but keep in mind that Nord does not port forwards ports. Meaning if you want to seed you will not be able to successfully do that. This will depend on the ports used by your tracker ofc, but again, bear this in mind as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.