Travelling USB Backup

NAS
DS220J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello all,
Just about done setting up my DS220J, looking at back up options and have a couple questions. I'll ask the questions and put my situation below in case it helps with advice.

If I use Hyper-backup to USB Single-Version to backup entire DS220J. Travel for 3 months with the USB drive. (it would be my off site backup) Then come back to the NAS.
1. Will Hyper-backup submit any changes to the NAS (if any were made) or is it a one way backup and the next back up overwrites everything on the USB?
2. Can I add files to the USB while travelling? For example I would be copying Photos and Videos on the trip as a backup. Can it just be to a new folder like Summer 2021?
3. Is it safe to access the data on the USB, like watch a movie look at photos? If I edit a file or delete it are those changes updated to the DS220J when I return and connect?

The NAS is a DS220J with (1) WD Red 12TB NAS Internal Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, CMR, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD120EFAX. We are using 6.5TB of it.
It is on a home network used by my wife and I only. All of our data except Movies is backed up to OneDrive. After I add the USB everything will be in at least 3 locations.
We have Apple TV at home and use InFuse if we want to watch video or movies off the DS220J.
We take a lot of pictures and video along with Drone video in Alaska when we travel.
When we travel, the DS220J will stay at home, either on syncing with OneDrive or much more likely off in our safe.
The USB I am looking at is WD Black 12TB D10 Game Drive for Xbox One External Hard Drive 7200 RPM WDBA5E0120HBKNESN, it seems fast and robust. (it works with PC)
The boat we travel on has a NUC that plays movies and we can use to review our new Photos and Videos. It has a 5TB drive that has our movies etc. It also syncs with OneDrive but we rarely have good internet so we need to have multiple backups on the boat, in other words we leave with OneDrive up to date. All our data with us, but cannot update the DS220J until we return from the trip.

Any suggestions that come to mind?

Thank you all for all the great information on this site, I have read all I can, and appreciate you all very much!

Crabber

You can add files to the same usb HDD as long as there is free space,
but these will be seperate files/folders from the Hyper-Backup.

You can have your HyperBackup encrypted and have access from any Windows/Linux/Mac PC as long the filesystem of the HDD is readable from the PC.

On the other hand if the HyperBackup HDD was the only backup of my NAS, I wouldn't take it in my travelling.

Have a nice time!

1. Will Hyper-backup submit any changes to the NAS (if any were made) or is it a one way backup and the next back up overwrites everything on the USB?
HB is a one-way sync process from the specified NAS folders and packages to a named folder on the destination.

What you’re asking is if HB does a two-way sync: No
2. Can I add files to the USB while travelling? For example I would be copying Photos and Videos on the trip as a backup. Can it just be to a new folder like Summer 2021?
Yes, you can add a new folder that is not in the HB back folder.

Provided you keep the backed up data untouched and have all new stuff in a completely separate folder you can decide later how to integrate new files to the NAS.
3. Is it safe to access the data on the USB, like watch a movie look at photos? If I edit a file or delete it are those changes updated to the DS220J when I return and connect?
You can read the files in the single-version backup but any changes will be lost when you next run the HB task on the NAS.

kiriak and fredbert, Thank you for the help!

So Single Version makes a backup that can be used easily by anything that can read the drive. There is no versioning of files. If I go to backup again later all the files will have to be backed up (overwritten) again completely?

The other USB option will only pick up changes and create versions of those files only?

Do I have that right?

So Single Version makes a backup that can be used easily by anything that can read the drive. There is no versioning of files.
Correct
If I go to backup again later all the files will have to be backed up (overwritten) again completely?
The NAS source folders will be synchronised to the USB destination, but only the changes. It's quicker that the first sync.
The other USB option will only pick up changes and create versions of those files only?
The "non-single version" for USB destinations will create a vault that holds the data in non-usable format. This also incrementally updates the sync'ed data and also keeps historical file versions too.

I suggest you test Hyper Backup on a small, sacrificial folder on the NAS and a spare USB device (thumb/pocket drive). You'll get a good idea what happens without risking you main data.

kiriak and fredbert, Thank you for the help!

So Single Version makes a backup that can be used easily by anything that can read the drive. There is no versioning of files. If I go to backup again later all the files will have to be backed up (overwritten) again completely?

Do I have that right?

I wouldn't use Single Version for my main backup.
Versions can save you from accidentally deleted files or accidentally changed files on the NAS.
The impact on the space of the usb HDD is minimal (except if you do massive changes of your files) and you can control how many versions and for how long to keep.

You can read your versions of files of the backup, using the app Hyper Backup Explorer. There are versions for Win - Mac - Ubuntu - Fedora. So you can have your files with history and files in case you no more have your NAS.

I wouldn't use Single Version for my main backup.
Versions can save you from accidentally deleted files or accidentally changed files on the NAS.
The impact on the space of the usb HDD is minimal (except if you do massive changes of your files) and you can control how many versions and for how long to keep.

‘Thanks for pushing this point, I am rethinking this process and will avoid Single Version, no reason not to have the protection of file versions. I’m slowly getting it.

‘Thanks for pushing this point, I am rethinking this process and will avoid Single Version, no reason not to have the protection of file versions. I’m slowly getting it.

You can use an old HDD or (I think) even an old small usb stick (1 Gb)
and create a backup task of a small or a few folders,
and "play" and see yourself how it works and if it fits your needs,

you can delete this task and reuse your HDD disk at any time

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.