DSM 7.0 Treating personal photos (in the home area) as a syncronised (Team) folder

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Treating personal photos (in the home area) as a syncronised (Team) folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAS
DS418play
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Under DSM 7 the photos app now stores all backed up personal photos in the home area parallel \ alongside the Drive folder.
This is actually a great idea, keeping them separate from your drive folder.

You can sync the Drive folder fine, just not the photo folder under your home area?
However I cannot find a way to enable drive syncing for this new photo folder? does anyone know how?

Using what method exactly? Drive ShareSync or?
Yes, Drive sharesync. Sorry should have said!.

I use the drive client on Windows and Mac and the DScloud app (before it was disallowed) on Android for a lot of photo syncing.

I can see the Photos folder under it just fine.
Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 13.04.52.png

Last edited:
I can see the Photos folder under it just fine.
I'm sorry I take it back I am using team folders and syncing them via the Drive Client, I've never used sharesync before.

1620821609004.png

-- post merged: --

in the root of the home dir is the Drive folder and the Photos folder (this is the personal photos area for the Photos app)
The drive folder can be enabled in the Admin console to be a sync-able drive(team folders), Photos is not even an option. (not to be confused with the system Photo folder (which is the shared photos root)

Because anything that is inside "homes" root folder can and will be only synced using ShareSync, not the Drive client.
No! the drive folder does act like a team folder and you can sync it to the drive client

1620826814708.png

No! the drive folder does act like a team folder and you can sync it to the drive client

View attachment 3596
True but you cant sync Photos album on the /home/username/Photos location that's what I mean.

True but you cant sync Photos album on the /home/username/Photos location that's what I mean.
Thanks for your comments, I know it cant be done at present, its why I posted to see if someone knew how ?

I thought sharesync was to sync your NAS to a remote NAS, how would I use it to sync photos to a phone?

why I posted to see if someone knew how ?
I’m sorry I completely misunderstood that was the question.

how would I use it to sync photos to a phone?
So we are talking about photos that are inside the Synology Photos? If so, wouldn’t accessing those photos using the mobile Synology Photos be a solution?

I’m sorry I completely misunderstood that was the question.

So we are talking about photos that are inside the Synology Photos? If so, wouldn’t accessing those photos using the mobile Synology Photos be a solution?
Thanks again for sticking with this.

No the end game is not just to look at photos, it is to sync the binaries from the source to multiple locations, for various reasons, some are photo editing, document management, general cloud accessibility and personal photos is one of the suite of things that I would like to sync to multiple locations, of which they are edited utilised by various products.
Prior to the DSM7 upgrade personal photos were nested under home drive in a moments folder. (which was terrible but at least they could be selectively sync under this hierarchy)

I am a seasoned user of team folders using Drive admin (about 5 years or so, although it was a different product on the older DSM's)
I currently have fudged fixes with cron job or robocopies, but these are really stop gaps and pretty unreliable compared to the native syncing.

It just frustrates me that probably unintentionally, Synology have removed the ability to sync this folder. Maybe they plan to add it to the team folder list like the drive folder, but I cant get a clear answer on this.

but my main question is am I missing something obvious here and that it can be done using native tooling?

Last edited:
Actually I work around this limitation by mapping the Photos folder into Drive folder using bind mount:
Bash:
mount -o bind /volume1/homes/<user>/Drive/Photos /volume1/homes/<user>/Photos/
(note the direction of mounting, it only works this way. Photos are physically stored in "/volume1/homes/<user>/Drive/Photos")

I set up a task for this purpose that is executed on startup of the DiskStation.

Using this method, I can sync personal Photos section within personal Drive section.
Of course this is only a poor work around and I hope Synology will support this use case officially. Currently there is no way to sync Photos from PC, only upload through Webservice is possible.:(

Last edited:
Actually I work around this limitation by mapping the Photos folder into Drive folder using bind mount:
Bash:
mount -o bind /volume1/homes/<user>/Drive/Photos /volume1/homes/<user>/Photos/
(note the direction of mounting, it only works this way. Photos are physically stored in "/volume1/homes/<user>/Drive/Photos")

I set up a task for this purpose that is executed on startup of the DiskStation.

Using this method, I can sync personal Photos section within personal Drive section.
Of course this is only a poor work around and I hope Synology will support this use case officially. Currently there is no way to sync Photos from PC, only upload through Webservice is possible.:(
This is great!

I forgot I could mount back like that.

I will try top setup a new share, make it a team folder and mount to that.

This is great!

I forgot I could mount back like that.

I will try top setup a new share, make it a team folder and mount to that.

To Confirm, this worked perfectly.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.