Two NAS - restoring from both

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Hi there,

I have two NASes located in two buildings, they are in the same network.
I have ABfB installed on both, ABfB (A) makes backup of few virtual machines and standalone PCs and replicates files to ABfB (B).
Restoring from ABfB (A) works fine, but I'd like to be able to restore from ABfB (B) as well.
Is it possible? Could you please guide me how to set that up?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Michael

Welcome to the forum.

It depends on how you are "replicating" to begin with. If you are using Snapshot Replication to replicate the ABB folder with data, then you will have to use that replica inside the secondary NAS and its ABB, connect the data into it, and restore.

If you want access to the replicated data while using the main NAS and its ABB, then you will need to linkup that replicated content into it, and restore from there.

What hypervisor is in question?

Upvote 0
Thank you Rusty,

It is Hyper-V.

The secondary ABB should use only files stored on secondary NAS.
How to point ABB to the particular backup files location?

Michael

Upvote 0
How to point ABB to the particular backup files location?
Guessing you mean the original one (location A). In that case, restore the replicated content back to location A NAS, and create a "new" task linking to the restored content.

Upvote 0
I am sorry, it is not what I mean.
ABB on the main location (A) is working (backing up and restoring) fine.
My problem is to be able to restore on secondary location (B) using files stored on secondary NAS (those replicated from location (A)).

Thank you.

Michael

Upvote 0
I am sorry, it is not what I mean.
ABB on the main location (A) is working (backing up and restoring) fine.
My problem is to be able to restore on secondary location (B) using files stored on secondary NAS (those replicated from location (A)).

Thank you.

Michael
Depending on the replication mechanism. If it's Snapshot replication, terminate that replication (or failover), to switch it from read-only to read-write. Then on the NAS B install ABB, and add the replicated folder as a new repository inside the ABB (relink).

Maybe this article and this heading will help out (its a bit older version of ABB and its M365 scenario) but the method is the same

Upvote 0
Thank you. I'll try that.

There is another problem - I cannot add another hypervisor, there are already two but every time I try add another I receive error about SMBv2 permission. I followed this link and all my settings are OK. Please see the screenshot attached.

Attachments

• synology error.JPG
    synology error.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Thank you. I'll try that.

There is another problem - I cannot add another hypervisor, there are already two but every time I try add another I receive error about SMBv2 permission. I followed this link and all my settings are OK. Please see the screenshot attached.
Well I would bet it is still some sort of SMB error coming in from the server side. If you have already multiple HyperV hosts connected there should be no issues on the NAS side.

Is the Server in question the same version as the others? Older, newer?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.