Currently reading
Two NASs but same Port Forwarding

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I will be setting up my second Synology NAS tomorrow. But what to do about port forwarding?
I need to port forward ports 80, 443, 8443, 5000 and 5001. But those ports are already port forwarded on my first NAS, my DS218+. So what do those of you who have more than one NAS do in regards to port forwarding? I know that each NAS will have it's own local IP address. But I also know they can't have the same ports forwarded.

I would like to recommend you to read Security check list in our forum. Download it (PDF) and read carefully each step.

Then Official Syno guide for a port change.

When you have Quickconnect service established in first NAS and you will change the default ports:
- Quickconnect service will find your exact NAS behind your common router.

Advanced recommendations:

In case that the second NAS is a backup of first NAS only, then no need to expose such backup NAS to be visible from internet (strictly advisable), then:
- you don’t need setup port forwarding service in your router for such NAS
- it’s better to disable quickconnect or DDNS services
- Disable all unused File services, except SMB ( your previous post taken into account) Control Panel > File Services
- setup new firewall profile for such policy - your new NAS ports need availability only from your LAN IP addresses or specific LAN addresses (your first NAS, your computer) or entire subnet (each IP addresses from the LAN).
- For the subnet setup - when your LAN is “like” 192.168.1.x, then your entire LAN subnet is 192.168.1.0/24
- I hope, that you have simple router, then no way to disallow IN WAN communication for such IP address. Then no way better security as was proposed above.

I would like to recommend you to read Security check list in our forum. Download it (PDF) and read carefully each step.

Then Official Syno guide for a port change.

When you have Quickconnect service established in first NAS and you will change the default ports:
- Quickconnect service will find your exact NAS behind your common router.

Advanced recommendations:

In case that the second NAS is a backup of first NAS only, then no need to expose such backup NAS to be visible from internet (strictly advisable), then:
- you don’t need setup port forwarding service in your router for such NAS
- it’s better to disable quickconnect or DDNS services
- Disable all unused File services, except SMB ( your previous post taken into account) Control Panel > File Services
- setup new firewall profile for such policy - your new NAS ports need availability only from your LAN IP addresses or specific LAN addresses (your first NAS, your computer) or entire subnet (each IP addresses from the LAN).
- For the subnet setup - when your LAN is “like” 192.168.1.x, then your entire LAN subnet is 192.168.1.0/24
- I hope, that you have simple router, then no way to disallow IN WAN communication for such IP address. Then no way better security as was proposed above.
Thanks again my friend.

Hi,

You can “RP” them…
Thanks. I will read it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.