NAS
RS3621xs+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,
today our company moved, and a very careful colleague dropped both our synology units. One DS1618+ and one DS1515+. I expected that maybe some harddisks would fail, but to my surprise...they don't even power on. It was very strange for me to have the same fault on both, and given the fact that they are not broken or don't have any visible physical problem (I opened the case of both, everything looks fine inside), I am wondering what could have been possible. Any tips or hints? I don't seem to find much on the internet about dropped NAS units...guess most people take better care of them :(

My tip/hint is to find another colleague to carry the stuff.

If the units do not power on, there must be a hardware failure/crack on the connectors or mainboard, of if you are lucky, just a cable that came loose from its socket. Hard to diagnose from here.

NEVER transport units with drives installed.

But 2 units? Two separate drops? Or silly enough to carry both together?

I would pull all drives and add a new single drive to see whether a simple SHR volume can be created. This could be a fractured motherboard.

Having been known to balance my lunch things on top of each other when trying to do one trip from the kitchen to my study ... it always end up being wise after the event! Apple on sandwich works, but drink on sandwich is a while different level.

Unless a device is expected to be mobile then there's always a good chance that it will be damage when dropped. If you look inside the NAS then you'll see that there is no protection from impact. Where these dropped NAS don't work is anyone's guess, unfortunately. But since you're starting at 'not working' then, if I was doing it, stripping down the NAS and visually inspecting the parts may help. Just disassembly and refitting parts may fix the issue. Also, try removing drives to see if the units power on.

I hope the two NAS aren't a primary and backup, and that you have a data backup outside of the NAS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.