Ubiquiti Unifi switch with 10G/RJ45 ports support

Currently reading
Ubiquiti Unifi switch with 10G/RJ45 ports support

D

Deleted member 673

@jeyare, can you point me to a Uniquiti 10Gb RJ45 switch with at least 5 ports (preferably around 8)? Don't need PoE or managed. It will simply connect 2x Synology DS and 2x Mac mini w/10Gb, plus a Synology router. I'm currently using Netgear GS110MX with 2 10Gb ports.

Thanks! Ron

@jeyare, can you point me to a Uniquiti 10Gb RJ45 switch with at least 5 ports (preferably around 8)?
You might want to take a look at Ubiquiti - UniFi® Switch XG 6PoE. It has 6 ports (4 x 10GBASE-T and 2 x 10Gbps SFP+). Bare in mind that if you compare it with cheaper SFP+ only solutions like the 8 Port MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN that each 10GBase-T SFP+ module will add costs to the total price. On the other side, if you are able to connect your devices with 10Gbps DAC cables, the MikroTik would be way cheaper.

@jeyare, can you point me to a Uniquiti 10Gb RJ45 switch with at least 5 ports (preferably around 8)? Don't need PoE or managed. It will simply connect 2x Synology DS and 2x Mac mini w/10Gb, plus a Synology router. I'm currently using Netgear GS110MX with 2 10Gb ports.

Thanks! Ron
first, there isn’t single Unifi switch with more than 4x 10G RJ45 ports
reason is based on SFP+ industry standard frequently used in switches for heavy throughput (you need also take account for the switching capacity/performance)

as was proposed by @one-eyed-king, the Unifi XG series is really smart solution also for a stacking (when more ports are needed by SFP+). Reasons:
- it’s Nbase-T standard = 1G/2.5G/5G/10G supports for each port independently
- then you don’t need to be worried about frequent compatibility problem in SFP+ transceiver modules
- when you will chose a different switch and use plain SFP+ ports (e.g. in the mentioned MikroTik) you have to count with cost of SFP+ transceiver modules (approx 30-50$ per port). No fights for the MikroTik (like them).

Well 10G isn’t cheapest technology.

and this thread will help you understand 2.5G SFP+ setup if needed (or an added value?)
This was the confirmation that I needed. I wanted an RJ45 5G connection from my client to 16XG SFP port (using SFP to 45 transceiver). The image that shows that you can indeed select 2.5 or 5G apart from 1/10G option for port configuration means that even though those switches are advertised as 1/10G they can work with 2.5-5G after all. Just not sure if the menu option 1/2.5/10 etc is detected depending on the transceiver or do you need to patch the switch 1st before you can use it.

Looks like I am ready to head to that direction :D

6port POE version of unify vs 16XG is not an option. I have no need for poe version and it costs almost the same as the 16port SFP (12/4) version.

Tnx for the article @jeyare

Welcome back @jeyare and thanks for the follow-up - and to all for the Ubiquiti comments. Looks like I may be able to obtain a lightly used Netgear XS508M for cheap (from a friend); so I might just settle for that. Ron

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.