Currently reading
Unable to Log In to VPN

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I set up a VPN and it didn’t work. I’m. It sure what I am doing incorrectly. I have done the following steps:

1) Set up Open VPN in the VPN package.
2) Tried opening the port in Reverse Proxy.
3) Opened the port on my router.
4) Downloaded the Open VPN credentials and emailed them to myself.
5) Downloaded OpenVPN to my iPhone
6) Opened the attachment into OpenVPN.
7) Tried to connect and no luck.

When the above didn’t work, I just tried opening the port and going directly without using Reverse Proxy.

I’m not sure where the problem is or why I’m not able to connect. I’m not sure if the problem lies in the Open VPN file or what.

Last edited:
yes

name and port need to be in there but the port will be already set depending on your ui setting that you have done. so just change the name/ip
I get that but does it need to be name colon port number or name space port number. And so I need to use the port number they give me or can I change it ? And if so, is there something I should consider when choosing a port number.

need to be name colon port number or name space port number.
name space port

And so I need to use the port number they give me or can I change it ?
depends what you have configured in the vpn server app (that’s what was exported). open vpn allows you to use udp or tcp as protocol on any port settings you want if those are not already in use.

Yeah. Ok. I’ve tried all this amd have not had any luck connecting back in. What am I missing? I have removed the Reverse Proxy. So now I am just using the OpenVPN, forwarding the port on my router to NAS, exporting the config file and changing it to my domain name, mailing it to myself, opening it in OpenVPN iOS app, and still nothing.

so frustrating

Yeah. Ok. I’ve tried all this amd have not had any luck connecting back in. What am I missing? I have removed the Reverse Proxy. So now I am just using the OpenVPN, forwarding the port on my router to NAS, exporting the config file and changing it to my domain name, mailing it to myself, opening it in OpenVPN iOS app, and still nothing.

so frustrating
Prehaps some more error logs from the client side will give better results then you getting frustrated. Send some over here, and let's take it from there.

Prehaps some more error logs from the client side will give better results then you getting frustrated. Send some over here, and let's take it from there.
Trying to find how to retrieve client side records. It’s literally just tried to keep connecting until I exit because it takes forever.

I am getting “server poll timeout” error. I tried canyouseeme.org and I’m not able to find it despite everything set up correctly. I also know that it’s set up correctly because I can see my other services that I have ports forwarded.

Yeah. I’m at a loss because I followed everything to a “t”. My http and https ports are open when using canyouseeme and it connects to a service, when I use it on my VPN port it doesn’t connect. So, I figure that’s the issue I’m just not sure how to fix it. I’m using an eero and have the port forwarded. Is there somewhere in the Synology firewall I need to allow it, and if so why was this not mentioned in any setup instructions have used ?

Yeah. I’m at a loss because I followed everything to a “t”. My http and https ports are open when using canyouseeme and it connects to a service, when I use it on my VPN port it doesn’t connect. So, I figure that’s the issue I’m just not sure how to fix it. I’m using an eero and have the port forwarded. Is there somewhere in the Synology firewall I need to allow it, and if so why was this not mentioned in any setup instructions have used ?
Depending on your NAS firewall it could be that it is blocking access, but as soon as you started your VPN server you should have gotten a firewall popup telling you what ports will be added to the list, so be sure that all the needed ports/protocols are in order.

I went in to the firewall to make sure the ports were in the firewall and they were in the allow list. canyouseeme is saying “no route to host” which is the same issue I get when trying any other random port number except the ones allowed in the port forwarding rules. I just don’t get it.

I went in to the firewall to make sure the ports were in the firewall and they were in the allow list. canyouseeme is saying “no route to host” which is the same issue I get when trying any other random port number except the ones allowed in the port forwarding rules. I just don’t get it.
Are you sure your ISP allows VPN traffic at all? What port/protocol do you have it configured to?

Just called and checked. They are not blocking that port. This is baffling.
the only thing I can offer is a private message and send me the file with a temp account to test from another location/client. Not sure what to tell you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.