Currently reading
Unable to login to DSM after Mode1 reset

NAS
DS216j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi, I have a DS216j running in RAID1. Unit has been fine for several years but suddenly I'm unable to login to DSM.

DSM version - 7.0-41890

Last week I logged in and mapped a drive to a folder for a new laptop no problem. Today I have tried to login to DSM to setup sharing a file and my login has failed. Possible I have had one of those moments and forgotten the password so went through the recommended MODE1 password reset as advised on the synology website.

Created the new password with success and proceeded to login but have been faced with the below error message.

Login Error9.jpg

Tried to reset a couple more times using a different laptop just in case something was playing up and everytime I face this problem. Unable to sign in.

Contacted Synology and been through 3 individuals who have asked me to try mode 1 several times. Mode 2 is now being suggested which I understand is reinstalling the DSM OS but concerned this could upset the data on the drives. 2 people from Synology tech support say this reset will not ruin the drives but the 3rd person did indicate this mode will create some problems. Asked me to backup but I can't backup if I cannot login into DSM.

Hope that makes sense and would really appreciate some advise on Mode2.
Cheers
Andy

Welcome to the forum.

Hope that makes sense and would really appreciate some advise on Mode2.
By default, mode 2 will NOT destroy the user-created volumes and their data. However, it is advisable to have a working backup before attempting this mode.

Do you have any other working account you could try?

Welcome to the forum.

By default, mode 2 will NOT destroy the user-created volumes and their data. However, it is advisable to have a working backup before attempting this mode.

Do you have any other working account you could try?
Hello, no other account on the NAS which I assume replaced the inbuilt ADMIN account. No external backup unfortunately. Just the 2 drives mirroring each other.

Yes, just read elsewhere MODE 2 is meant to only touch the DSM OS and not the drive data but the word "should" is used wherever I read which makes me a little worried.

Hello, no other account on the NAS which I assume replaced the inbuilt ADMIN account. No external backup unfortunately. Just the 2 drives mirroring each other.
Well using the "admin" account is not recommended and it should be disabled once the NAS is setup, but it is what it is in your case.

Yes, just read elsewhere MODE 2 is meant to only touch the DSM OS and not the drive data but the word "should" is used wherever I read which makes me a little worried.
That's just because of the "we told you so" scenario. I my experience, I never needed a backup in a similar case, let's put it that way. Even moving the drives to a complete new setup the volume was detected just fine. Considering you have no other options atm, guess mode 2 looks like your only option.

Thanks a lot for the detail. Yes sounds like mode 2 is my way forward. I’ll jump in and post back once I’ve been through this. Hopefully with good news. 🤞

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.