Unable to route Download Station traffic through LAN 2

NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm trying to route Download Station's traffic through LAN 2. My plan is to use a VPN on LAN 2, once I can set this up.

I went into the firewall and blocked all BT/eMule traffic from LAN 1 and allowed it on LAN 2. However, upon doing this, I still see that Download Station is using LAN 1 to download, as seen in the Activity Monitor and on my network controller. How is this possible if I'm telling the firewall to block it?

The second issue I'm having is that when I successfully install PIA using openVPN and run it on LAN 1 as a test, Download Station loses connection and doesn't download or search. I see that PIA is connected, but I get nothing from Download Station. Furthermore, a traceroute to google.com just hangs, with no result. It's like the NAS loses connection entirely when using PIA VPN. Any ideas of what coule be happening?

Sure, I just went into the Firewall section in Control Panel -> Security of DSM.

Screenshot 2023-01-14 012618.png

I suspect it's not bocking bittorrent because it's only blocking unsolicited incoming packets - it's not blocking your NAS from establishing bittorrrent connections with other devices outside your network, or blocking those devices from responding.

Last edited:
Alright, figured this out. The solution is not the best, but it works very well.

The solution is to run DSM in a virtual machine and then tunnel the entire virtual machine. Problem solved.

Follow this to install vDSM in your NAS: How to Setup Synology DSM as a Virtual Machine (vDSM) - WunderTech

Then, follow these steps to make it work with Private Internet Access:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've checked with IP leak and using curl ipecho.net/plain and can confirm this solution works.

Assign 1-3 GB RAM to the virtual machine. However, you'll likely need to increase RAM in your machine if you want to maintain responsiveness, especially if you're running other stuff on it. I got a cheap 16 GB stick from Amazon and everything works like it should:

Amazon product ASIN B07YXCBVWX
Synology, if you're reading, why do I have two LAN ports yet have to do all this to make something so simple work???

EDIT: There are a few advantages to this setup, despite it being somewhat cumbersome.
  • All of your downloads are now on a virtual machine prior to moving them to their final destination. If you donwnload something bad, it will mess up your virtual machine and you can just re-create it
  • It allows you to test updates and new software in a virtual environment, prior to doing so in production
  • The whole VDSM is tunneled through a VPN, which I think is a plus

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the firewall in your router? That is: Each of your LAN ports has a different IP address. You'd set the router to deny bittorrent traffic to/from the LAN port you don't want to use for torrenting.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the firewall in your router? That is: Each of your LAN ports has a different IP address. You'd set the router to deny bittorrent traffic to/from the LAN port you don't want to use for torrenting.
This is true, but there are no guarantees that DSM will route that traffic through LAN 2 instead of just failing. When I was testing with the NAS' firewall, traffic would just completely drop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.