Currently reading
Understanding rsync and compression

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I want to use Hyper Backup from one Synology to another in a different location. I can't use VPN so I think the correct choice is rsync. I think - but I don't know - that's a safe and secure option cos DMS runs rsync over an SSL connection. Or rsync is always secure? Either way there's nothing in Hyper Backup telling me I'm safe. Am I? Is rsync a good option here?

Meanwhile I backed up around 366 GB of office files, documents 'n' stuff using Hyper Backup and opting to compress the data. At the other end I have an hbk folder of 205 GB. Seem about right? Always slightly unsure of compressing data cos somethings going to have to go!

And the hbk folder. What's that in Mac speak? Is it a big package? I can't see my folders and files inside it, which is also unsettling.

Or rsync is always secure? Either way there's nothing in Hyper Backup telling me I'm safe.
Using HB with single file copy scenario (rsync) will give you the option to encrypt the task. I run most of my remote backups that way so it is supported.

Meanwhile I backed up around 366 GB of office files, documents 'n' stuff using Hyper Backup and opting to compress the data. At the other end I have an hbk folder of 205 GB. Seem about right? Always slightly unsure of compressing data cos somethings going to have to go!

And the hbk folder. What's that in Mac speak? Is it a big package? I can't see my folders and files inside it, which is also unsettling.
There is compression and deduplication going on when using the native HB database model for backup. That’s what hbk is. It’s synology’s own HB backup extension that can be encrypted or not but in any case only accessible via HB Vault application (via syno dsm, or any hb Vault desktop app)

Using HB with single file copy scenario (rsync) will give you the option to encrypt the task. I run most of my remote backups that way so it is supported.
Thanks. So I'm using plain 'rsync'. You're just saving a copy of the latest version of a file, I'm keeping old versions too. If I read and understand correctly. I'm sure I'm sending encrypted too.
There is compression and deduplication going on
The only thing that bothers me here is that I know if you JPEG a JPEG - in other words compress further an already compressed file - you loose information and you can see that when you open the JPEG'd JPEG. So maybe I want compression, maybe I don't.

Deduplication sound clever though.

In general, why are your remote backups 'single'? You don't need/want earlier versions or maybes it smarter to keep the versioned backup local and assume the off-site is for when it hits the fan?

In general, why are your remote backups 'single'? You don't need/want earlier versions or maybes it smarter to keep the versioned backup local and assume the off-site is for when it hits the fan?
Depends on my needs but in general correct. I use a combination of snapshots and various remote backups depending what I backup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.