Unlocking the new drive compatibility restrictions

Currently reading
Unlocking the new drive compatibility restrictions

Hi everyone,

We have been caught out with purchasing a RS4021xs+ populated with Seagate 16TB ST16000NE000 drives.

The disks do detect and show as Allocation Status : Initialized / Health Status : Healthy. But the drives are showing as Incompatible and storage manager will not allow for an array to be created. Previously these worked with the RS4017xs+

We are running DSM 6.2.3-25426 and older versions do not look to be available. (thinking it may be a firmware restriction to force the use of Syno drives.)

Before we switch to a different vendor so we can utilizes our 16 x 16Tb drives, does anyone know if it is possible to bypass the compatibility check?

Many thanks,

Synology is going to shoot itself in the foot with this tactic,

I was just reading this in another forum

Just an FYI, Synology appears to have recently made the decision at the high end of their product lineup to only allow their own hard drives to be used above a certain capacity. Again, at the current time this is only for large capacity drives on specific enterprise-targeted products. A combination quite unlikely to be considered by anyone looking for advice on this forum.
I thought it was worthwhile mentioning this even if it doesn’t currently affect the portion of their product lineup we may dwell in. It’s just enough of a significant change for Synology that it’s something a person considering a new NAS may want to take into consideration to at least some degree when evaluating their options. Weigh the information in accordance with your own needs, priorities, and preferences.

from here
Good NAS for video storage and editing?: PC Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

probably it is not exactly so, but bad reputation had started to spread

As for me, this is another push to start migrating to elsewhere
(added to Linux diminishing support, new DSM 7 Photo app restrictions etc.)

Upvote 0
Creating a pool/volume on an older RS4017 and attempting to move to the new hardware did not work. so disk migrations are not an option. Our ticket with synology support was also closed with no response. :mad:

Upvote 0
Sorry wrong ticket, yes they did reply. Below is the response when asked if we can move the volume from one system to the other.

"Since the hard drives are not compatible with RS4021xs+, you can use whether the Hyper Backup or Migration Assistant to move your data from RS4017xs+ to RS4021xs+.

You have to purchase the compatible hard drives to install to RS4021xs+ and power it on."

Upvote 0
"Since the hard drives are not compatible with RS4021xs+, you can use whether the Hyper Backup or Migration Assistant to move your data from RS4017xs+ to RS4021xs+.

You have to purchase the compatible hard drives to install to RS4021xs+ and power it on."
Not good, not good at all.

Pretty much trashes one of there own market segments.

Upvote 0
I looked at pricing of the Synology HDD vs equivalent and they seem to have a premium (the figure of ~10% comes to mind when I looked against Ironwolf Pro 8TB: £225 vs £250 [11%]). If Synology are going to start offering premium support for businesses then having a 100% Synology system makes some sense, at least for Synology: all the kit is under their remit and replacements can be used to fault find. This would/should reduce the support costs to being against only Synology products and not fault finding a third party product.

If this is the plan then it would make some sense to only place the Synology HDD/SSD limitation on enterprise-level kit and not on (as Apple called it) pro-sumer and below.

Upvote 0
If this is the plan then it would make some sense to only place the Synology HDD/SSD limitation on enterprise-level kit and not on (as Apple called it) pro-sumer and below.

Yet they have already placed an intrusive vendor-lock on RAM where they charge 3 times or more the going rate for their 'Synology' RAM (with zero changes from generic RAM) and introduce a vendor-check on as low a level product as a consumer 6-bay SATA desktop NAS.

So what will 2022 models look like - 'Synology RAM only' on 4-bay NASes; 'Synology HDD/SSDs only' on 6-bay and above?

As for price gouging - if we have 15% markup on HDDs this year and have already hit 310% on RAM, will we see them harmonise next year at a markup rate somewhere in the middle?

I still cannot get my head around any vendor lock on a Linux-based NAS - not exactly in-keeping with the open-source license.

Upvote 0
I was only suggesting that from a business view, not home user. And it only makes any sense if they are going to step up the business support to match that provided by other technology vendors.

I'm not even saying I agree with it, just that I can see it from Synology's point of view but only then if they offer better direct support. Without that then it seems petty.

Getting the DS1520+ over the DS920+ wasn't just to get the extra bay, I didn't want the hassle of guessing which third party RAM sticks would work. The 1520+ comes with the extra 4GB stick.

Upvote 0
as was written by me somewhere in this forum:
- Syno isn't a game changer in the enterprise NAS segment
- Syno isn't an innovator in the same segment
- Syno isn't listed in Gartner MQ for NAS vendors (they just dropped out in 2020 from the MQ), in 2019 their position was on very bottom level
- Syno hasn't enterprise level support available (or paid)
- Syno hasn't DSM with disaster recovery of the system, when you lose primary partition
powerful enough list of weaknesses for their smart competitors fights for all procurement driven deals in the enterprise segment

all the mentioned obstacles (RAM, disk drives, ...) SYNO creates only for the NAS enthusiasts and SME segment, which do not care about real big-bang, when they lose the primary partition.

howg

Upvote 0
I looked at pricing of the Synology HDD vs equivalent and they seem to have a premium (the figure of ~10% comes to mind when I looked against Ironwolf Pro 8TB: £225 vs £250 [11%]).

fredbert, it may be worthwhile to also consider that the enterprise-class Synology HAT5300-8T has a much higher workload rating than the IronWolf Pro 8TB drive (550TB/year versus 300TB/year).

Upvote 0
i think, everything was explained already here:

Upvote 0
That is a particularly tiny way of telling anyone anything.

You must admit that you are more than slightly short of detail, context or references.

☕

Upvote 0

great idea, how to run the over scripted system to be able to run the system :unsure: w/o NAS support from the vendor, because the over scripted system is running on the forbidden piece of HWs

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.