update fails antivirus essential

Currently reading
update fails antivirus essential

NAS
ds213 air,ds416 play
Operating system
  1. Linux
hi

i own two synology ds213 air and ds416 play. it is not possible to update the virus definition.*

on both systems, the last virus definition file has been published the 16 janvier 2020.

have you the same problem ?

best

jf

Last edited:
I have a new DS1621+ and installed Antivirus.
Opened it. Clicked updates, says "out of date".
Clicked "update"..., button grays out while it's "updating"...
20 seconds later, goes back to saying "outdated" and the button is enabled again.
repeated a few times.
Checked the log

1611172019886.png

no trace of an error, but continues to say "outdated"
suggestions?
already restarted the box in case that's a suggestion...
DSM is at latest update
is it really updated? I guess I could try a test scan...

UPDATE:
I went ahead and clicked "custom scan" and selected a small folder" and clicked "start scan"

1611172475448.png

that took a few, then it "initialized" -- this took about 3 minutes with no other activity on the nas

1611172518659.png

and the scan completed.

1611172639979.png

I went back to the updates tab to check again
did the same thing.
It's NOT updating the definitions, and not logging an error.
Here's the "start custom scan", "update", update complete", "scan complete"
and yet the updates tab still says "out of date"

1611172735653.png

IDEAS?

Last edited:
I had the same problem, so I made a shell script that downloads and updates the virus definitions automagically. Then I use the task manager to run the script every night.

First, make a new file called updateav.sh in your home directory and add the following code.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
cd /volume1/homes/YourUserName/
wget http://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
wget http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
mv /var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/var/lib/* /volume1/\@tmp/
mv *.cvd /var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/var/lib/
/var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/bin/freshclam
This script will backup the old virus definitions to the @tmp directory, download the new definitions, move them to the right ClamAV directory and runs the ClamAV updater.

Then use the task manager to create a new task which executes the script dayly.
tab1.png

tab2.png

tab3.png

It's a workaround which shouldn't be necessary, but at least it works for me 🤷‍♂️. I hope it works for other people as well.

I have a similar problem.

I'm running a DS209+II with DSM 4.2 (latest supported version)

AV Essential has been running flawlessly for years.

On February 25th 2021, the definitions no longer update.

The message is "
Update Failed : Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in /var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/etc/freshclam.conf is working.

Check http://www.clamav.net/support/mirror-problem for possible reasons."

My network is fine. All settings ok. I downloaded a file with Download manager without any issues.

Have the mirrors been moved/changed?

Anyway, the link above is dead, so no use.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I just bought a DS415+ and set it up to work with 4x 3TB WD Red hard drives in SHR2 mode. So far, I am loving the device. I just installed the AntiVirus Essential from the Package Center and I was never able to update the virus definitions. Whenever I click update, I get the following error message: Update Failed: Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in /var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/etc/freshclam.conf is working. Any suggestion.?

I just bought a DS415+ and set it up to work with 4x 3TB WD Red hard drives in SHR2 mode. So far, I am loving the device. I just installed the AntiVirus Essential from the Package Center and I was never able to update the virus definitions. Whenever I click update, I get the following error message: Update Failed: Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in /var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/etc/freshclam.conf is working. Any suggestion.?
Can you confirm that your nas has internet connection? Can you install apps from the package center (or load the apps in the center in the 1st place)?

Seems to be the same problem that I have.

Interesting, I also have a DS415+ which is on the latest 6.2.4-5556 DSM. AV Essential works like a charm and updates without an issue.

Which version of DSM do you have? If 6.2, then it means this issue is not linked to me running a legacy DSM.

I had the same problem, so I made a shell script that downloads and updates the virus definitions automagically. Then I use the task manager to run the script every night.

First, make a new file called updateav.sh in your home directory and add the following code.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
cd /volume1/homes/YourUserName/
wget http://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
wget http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
mv /var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/var/lib/* /volume1/\@tmp/
mv *.cvd /var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/var/lib/
/var/packages/AntiVirus/target/engine/clamav/bin/freshclam
This script will backup the old virus definitions to the @tmp directory, download the new definitions, move them to the right ClamAV directory and runs the ClamAV updater.

Then use the task manager to create a new task which executes the script dayly.
View attachment 3222
View attachment 3223
View attachment 3224

It's a workaround which shouldn't be necessary, but at least it works for me 🤷‍♂️. I hope it works for other people as well.

This doesn't seem to work anymore. Downloading the cvd files with the wget command results in a "403: forbidden" http error. It seems that ClamAv has put up a system to prevent ddos attacks, because when I download the files from a browser I get to this page.
1622911781382.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.