Currently reading
Updating containers?

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
DSM 7.2 Container Manager obviously has the possibility to update dockercontainers.. I only have a few and I sometimes get messages that they've updated. However when I've updated, I don't think I've ever seen any changes in the applications. Versionnumber and such has never updated, however the containers are updated (atleast DSM says that..)
As a docker newbie, is this expected behaviour?

@oRBIT, I am not sure but I think that Container Manager only updates the image (and not the container). If the image is updated then you have to recreate the container by yourself.

I am not sure because I use WatchTower for updating the images. Watchtower seems more transparant to me than the update procedure from Container Manager.

Odd, I just click the links that container manager provides to update the containers and it handles the whole process, I must be doing it wrong.

If you click on update, Container Manager will only update the image and not the container. To update the container go to the Project, stop it and build the project again. In this way the container will be updated with the latest downloaded image

It does the whole thing itself. I do NOT have to go to project and stop, build and restart the container. Ofc, I'm just a dumb end user and I wait to be notified by container manager that an update is available for a container I'm running. I'm not saying it won't work doing it the hard way, it's just not necessary.

OK, sorry. Then I am wrong. That's because I do not use the automatic update process from Container Manager.

As I wrote earlier, for updating the image I am using Watchtower. After an image update by Watchtower I update the container manually. On this way I keep track what's going on with my containers.

Ok, good for you. I get notified, I still have to click the link to do the update, so I'm aware of what's going on and CM keeps a log. I'm done here. You be you. :cool:

How can I prompt container manager to search for updates? I know there are updates available for several of my containers, but container manager is not making them available or updating to them automatically. (That is, I am seeing no "update" button). Thanks!

How can I prompt container manager to search for updates? I know there are updates available for several of my containers, but container manager is not making them available or updating to them automatically. (That is, I am seeing no "update" button). Thanks!
Rebuild of containers will recreate the container using the newest version of the image available, but that image needs to be re-downloaded in case there is already and "older" one.

Automatic update on the other end (update of the containers) will not happen automatically. You will need something like "watchtower" solution or DIUN (for alerting).

Be careful with WT as it will update no matter if that version of the image is working correctly or not, so you might end up with a broken container in the end, resulting in a potential rollback.

For containers not created by a project, Container Manager will update them when you click "Update" for the image in registry.
If the container belongs to a project then you have first to stop the project, update the image and then select to build the project again.

For containers not created by a project, Container Manager will update them when you click "Update" for the image in registry.
If the container belongs to a project then you have first to stop the project, update the image and then select to build the project again.
@dimfil I understand that, but my problem is that there are updates available for some containers (I know this from looking at the developer's site), but I see no "update" button on the image in the registry. So updates exist, but Container Manager does not become aware of them.

@dimfil I understand that, but my problem is that there are updates available for some containers (I know this from looking at the developer's site), but I see no "update" button on the image in the registry. So updates exist, but Container Manager does not become aware of them.
Have you stated the "latest" tag?

In Docker, updating container images doesn't always result in visible changes to the application within. Version numbers may remain the same as updates often focus on underlying infrastructure and dependencies.

In Docker, updating container images doesn't always result in visible changes to the application within. Version numbers may remain the same as updates often focus on underlying infrastructure and dependencies.
Never seen that with Vaultwarden, anytime there’s been an update it’s due to a new version being released and version number has always reflected that change when updating the container image.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.