Currently reading
Upgrade 1 of the disks in a DS214play

NAS
DS214play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello Forum users and thanks in advance for any advice.
My DS214play holds 2 3Tb WD RED discks configured as 1 storage pool with Synology JBOD. It's used for file and media storage and playback. The storage is nearly full and I'm happy with the performance so don't otherwise need to upgrade the whole system. I'm therefore wondering if it's possible and - if so - what steps I would need to take, to upgrade 1 of the disks. Synology's Help Center has a lot on upgrading SHR/RAID configurations but seems quite light on JBOD setups. Could I, for example, get the file capacity down to, say, 2Tb using external drives and 'divorce' my 2 NAS drives, enabling 1 to be replaced with a higher capacity ? Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Well, you have only one option in your case. Backup your data, nuke the volume, replace the drive, create a new volume and restore the data.

If you touch your drives in any way in JBOD you will lose the volume and your data. Considering there is no parity in JBOD you have limited options here.

That's extremely helpful, thanks @Rusty
I've got a HyperBackup backup of the files I need and enough additional external HDD space to make a further copy, so the nuclear option is feasible. Please can I ask a supplementary question ? Assuming that: (1) I need a maximum of, say, 4Tb, back up capacity (the remainder of the files being DVD movies I own, ripped to mkv for convenience of playback via DLNA devices) mkv of movies I have the original DVD for) and (2) I replace the existing 2x3Tb drives with 2 new 6Tb ones, can I use my existing 3Tb drives as my backup drives, to replace the aging external USB HDDs I'm currently using ? If so, are there inexpensive options to house these and which can be connected to my DS214play via USB ?

can I use my existing 3Tb drives as my backup drives, to replace the aging external USB HDDs I'm currently using
Yes you can with no problem at all.

If so, are there inexpensive options to house these, and which can be connected to my DS214play via USB?
Any external enclosure can house your 3,5" drive. Considering that there are 2x USB3 connectors on the back, any USB2/3/3.1 compatible 3,5" enclosure will do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.