Upgrade 6.4 to DSM 7.1 taking 9 hours ...

Currently reading
Upgrade 6.4 to DSM 7.1 taking 9 hours ...

NAS
DS216play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I started the Upgrade on my DS216play from DSM 6.4 to DSM 7.1 over 9 hours ago, and until now is not completed. The Status LED is On, the LAN and I/O LEDs are blinking. No disk activity. Web Synology Assistant reports No NAS found ...
What shouls I do???

Yes, it is on a static IP address, but this address replies it is not available.
What do you mean by "reboot the nas"? Simply push I/O switch for few seconds?
I have read somewhere, that the upgraded DSM needs some time for reindexing files - documents, photos, music, ... Should I give it next more time to finish this operation? What happens when I break the process?

I have read somewhere, that the upgraded DSM needs some time for reindexing files - documents, photos, music
That might be so, but at least something should be reachable over the web UI.

Can you ping that IP address? Are you getting any responses? Also, do you have SSH (22) port open? If so, log in (if you can reach it on the IP), and run htop command. To see in the terminal if there are any processes that are causing this problem.

Last edited:
I suggest to reset your NAS with Mode 1. This will reset your LAN settings, so use again the Synology Assistant app to find it. If the problem persist, try Mode 2.

Mode 2 reinstall DSM, you lost app and settings, but not the data.

Last edited:
There is no response from ping IP address. I do not use SSH port.
-- post merged: --

I suggest to reset your NAS with Mode 1. This will reset your LAN settings, so use again the Synology Assistant app to find it. If the problem persist, try Mode 2.

Mode 2 reinstall DSM, you lost app and settings, but not the data.
Inspite of the instruction "Press and hold down the RESET button for about 4 seconds until you hear a beep", I didi not any beep. NAS do not react to anything. Should I press I/O switch?

Last edited:
Try anyway to see if the Synology Assistant app find the NAS. If not, you can try Mode 2. If still nothing, remove the power cable, wait 20 sec, reconnect, and try again the Mode 2.

If you have USB drive connected, disconnect them.

Mode 2 will install latest DSM

Try anyway to see if the Synology Assistant app find the NAS. If not, you can try Mode 2. If still nothing, remove the power cable, wait 20 sec, reconnect, and try again the Mode 2.

If you have USB drive connected, disconnect them.

Mode 2 will install latest DSM
All failed!!!
RESET do not react.
Neither removing the power cable and reconnecting does not help - the Status LED is Off, the I/O LEDs is blinking, the LAN LED is occesionally blinking . No disk activity.
Please HELP!!!

SOLVED!
After disconnecting the external HDD and USB cable to UPS and connecting NAS by LAN cable directly to the computer, my NAS became available a fully manageable.

SOLVED!
After disconnecting the external HDD and USB cable to UPS and connecting NAS by LAN cable directly to the computer, my NAS became available a fully manageable.
Can i please ask if you did the "remove power cable etc" or just remove the USB cable and it worked straight away? Having the same issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.