upgrade drives or add extension box.

Currently reading
upgrade drives or add extension box.

I have a client that needs more space on the NAS. I have two options and would like to know what you guys think is the better option.

Option 1
upgrade the existing 5 drives in the DS1618+ (new 8TB drives, currently 3TB drives) to larger disks to create the needed space. Using SHR for the formating and Btrfs.

Option 2
Attach a new DX517 5-Bay Expansion Unit to the DS1618+ with 6 6TB drives to create the needed space.

With the different drive prices, it comes to within a few hundred dollars to do either update. What do you think will be the best way to go? It seems to me upgrading the existing drives would take longer for the rebuilds than the expansion unit setup but less hardware to worried about crashing. Also, increased risk when upgrading drives and adding them into the existing Volume, if something did go wrong? I have good backups. Maybe I am missing something else, if so let me know.

Two things - Analyze cost for both options, and decide if budget is an issue. For option 1 you'd be restoring from an external backup when replacing the old drives (you DO have a backup..yes?)

If you choose option 2 make sure you do not span storage across the cabinet, make a separate volume on it. Also keep in mind that the Expansion cabinet relies upon the parent NAS for access. If the NAS were to experience a failure you would not be able to access the Expansion cabinet until either the NAS is repaired or you replace it with a compatible model.

Thank you good info. Was thinking of replacing the drives one at a time and rebuild the volume as if a drive failed. I would NOT replace all the drives at once then restore from backup.

Option 3... buy 2 16TB drives to replace two of the 3TB drives.

I see little reason to bother with a DX. For one, they aren't cheap, for another, you'll need to manage two volumes. Considering that you are only at 3TB drives, a drive upgrade seems appropriate and simple.

Thank you good info. Was thinking of replacing the drives one at a time and rebuild the volume as if a drive failed. I would NOT replace all the drives at once then restore from backup.
This as well is an option, but it will take time and will stress the array (think potential drive failure (s) )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.