Upgrade Hard disk

NAS
DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello, I have a DS415, DSM 6.2, 4HD 3TB WD RED and now it is running out of space.

I am using Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)(with data protection for 2-drive fault tolerance.

1- There are available WD RED, WD RED PLUS, WD RED PRO, I am thinking of getting one drive and exchange by 10TB. Which one should I choose?

2- Would I change the RAID?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have a DS415, DSM 6.2, 4HD 3TB WD RED
Which version of WD Red are these? The older WD Red are CMR models, so check the model number. If they are older than 2 years they will be CMR.

As for the current WD Red family:
  • WD Red: 2 to 6 TB and use SMR recording technology ... do not mix SMR and CMR in an array.
  • WD Red Plus: 1 to 14 TB 5400rpm using CMR "designed for NAS up to 8* bays"
  • WD Red Pro: 2 to 18 TB 7200rpm using CMR "designed for NAS up to 24 bays"

You should check what type of WD Red you have and don't mix CMR and SMR. You will most likely need WD Red Plus.

*Oops! corrected to 8 bays.

If I read this right - you are running SHR-2, a quantity of (4) 3 TB drives, giving you the storage capacity of ~5.x TB of space. I would consider removing (1) of the 3 TB drives, insert the (1) 10 TB drive, create a separate SHR-1 volume. Then move your content from the downgraded array to it. Then, backup your configuration to that volume, and then reformat the existing volume to SHR-1. - or consider adding additional 10 TB drives to the new array, if you can afford it.

Which version of WD Red are these? The older WD Red are CMR models, so check the model number. If they are older than 2 years they will be CMR.

As for the current WD Red family:
  • WD Red: 2 to 6 TB and use SMR recording technology ... do not mix SMR and CMR in an array.
  • WD Red Plus: 1 to 14 TB 5400rpm using CMR "designed for NAS up to 24 bays"
  • WD Red Pro: 2 to 18 TB 7200rpm using CMR "designed for NAS up to 24 bays"

You should check what type of WD Red you have and don't mix CMR and SMR. You will most likely need WD Red Plus.
Hi fredbert, thanks for reply, yes the drives are CMR model: WD30EFRX

If I read this right - you are running SHR-2, a quantity of (4) 3 TB drives, giving you the storage capacity of ~5.x TB of space. I would consider removing (1) of the 3 TB drives, insert the (1) 10 TB drive, create a separate SHR-1 volume. Then move your content from the downgraded array to it. Then, backup your configuration to that volume, and then reformat the existing volume to SHR-1. - or consider adding additional 10 TB drives to the new array, if you can afford it.
The idea is not buy 2 Hd right now, please enlighten me if I make the 10 TB SHR-1, to use as backup of the others 3, I will not be able to add the 3 small disks to the 10TB Am I wrong? I think you only can add bigger drives to the NAS, not the contrary.

• WD Red Plus: 1 to 14 TB 5400rpm using CMR "designed for NAS up to 8* bays"
Edit, in case anyone reads this later: it's 8 bays

The idea is not buy 2 Hd right now, please enlighten me if I make the 10 TB SHR-1, to use as backup of the others 3, I will not be able to add the 3 small disks to the 10TB Am I wrong? I think you only can add bigger drives to the NAS, not the contrary.
If you have 4 bays with SHR-2 using 4x 3TB drives then if you remove 1 drive the array will be degraded but still work. You can then install a 10TB drive and configure it as a new SHR-1 pool and create a new volume on it.

You cannot add smaller drives to an array that has bigger. And you have to have at least two of the bigger drive to realise its bigger capacity.

Edit, in case anyone reads this later: it's 8 bays

If you have 4 bays with SHR-2 using 4x 3TB drives then if you remove 1 drive the array will be degraded but still work. You can then install a 10TB drive and configure it as a new SHR-1 pool and create a new volume on it.

You cannot add smaller drives to an array that has bigger. And you have to have at least two of the bigger drive to realise its bigger capacity.
I understand, so if I backup my NAS externally and configure 3 HDs as SHR-1 bring back the backup to it and add the last drive 10TB it would work? I could get more space isn’t it? I could still have some redundancy with SHR-1? Is it safe enough? Thanks

Last edited:
You could do that. I’m not completely clear exactly how you mean when you say to add the 10 TB drive later.

An array with 3x 3 TB and then with 10TB added will still operate the same as an array made of 4x 3 TB.

Or do you mean having two storage pools:
  1. 3x 3 TB SHR-1
  2. 1x 10 TB SHR with no redundancy
If it’s this latter way then yes you’ll get more storage.

Last edited:
You could do that. I’m not completely clear exactly how you when you say to add the 10 TB drive later.

An array with 3x 3 TB and then with 10TB added will still operate the same as an array made of 4x 3 TB.

Or do you mean having two storage pools:
  1. 3x 3 TB SHR-1
  2. 1x 10 TB SHR with no redundancy
If it’s this latter way then yes you’ll get more storage.
Ok with the addition of only one 10TB disk to to my NAS, what should I do? to increase the capacity. Would I change the SHR to 1?

Ok with the addition of only one 10TB disk to to my NAS, what should I do? to increase the capacity. Would I change the SHR to 1?
You do what @Coop777 suggested in post #4.

If you haven't already got a full Hyper Backup backup of the NAS and don't have a spare drive to do this too then do this:

Degrade the current SHR-2 by removing one drive and then install the 10 TB as a new storage pool (can be SHR to keep it flexible for the future). Then there are a few options:​
  • Use Control Panel to move each shared folder to the volume on the 10 TB. Then backup the NAS configuration.
  • Use Hyper Backup to backup all shared folders and all packages (includes the NAS configuration). Destination could be to the 10 TB or external drive.
My preference, because I've done it and know packages are restored as much as they can, would be the second option.​
Once the current, degraded SHR-2 has been backed up you can remove it and rebuild as a new SHR-1 storage pool.​
Then restore the backup to the new SHR-1.​
If you have a full backup of the NAS then you can go straight to removing and rebuilding the SHR-2 4x 3 TB as SHR-1 3x 3 TB.

You do what @Coop777 suggested in post #4.

If you haven't already got a full Hyper Backup backup of the NAS and don't have a spare drive to do this too then do this:

Degrade the current SHR-2 by removing one drive and then install the 10 TB as a new storage pool (can be SHR to keep it flexible for the future). Then there are a few options:​
  • Use Control Panel to move each shared folder to the volume on the 10 TB. Then backup the NAS configuration.
  • Use Hyper Backup to backup all shared folders and all packages (includes the NAS configuration). Destination could be to the 10 TB or external drive.
My preference, because I've done it and know packages are restored as much as they can, would be the second option.​
Once the current, degraded SHR-2 has been backed up you can remove it and rebuild as a new SHR-1 storage pool.​
Then restore the backup to the new SHR-1.​
If you have a full backup of the NAS then you can go straight to removing and rebuilding the SHR-2 4x 3 TB as SHR-1 3x 3 TB.
I will fo that.
Thanks fredbert

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.