Upgrade NAS, but using same disks as old NAS?

Currently reading
Upgrade NAS, but using same disks as old NAS?

NAS
DS212j,DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi, old noob here. I finally decided that my DS212j is getting too far behind the DSM version(current 6), and want some of the newer features of 7. My DS212j does not support 7, so am moving to a DS220+.

My question is... since I don't plan on using the old DS212j, can I just move the disks in the DS212j to the new DS220+ and be off and running? I can't seem to find a guide for starting a new DS using old DS disks? If there is a guide, can someone point me in the right direction?

Not to be too pesty, but, is this a new forum? I know I was a member at one time, a few years ago, but had to register as a new member here. Are my old Q and A's threads gone?

Thank you! --Otis (omamed)

The following kb's have details/limitations/caveats regarding drive migration between NAS devices:

New as in 4y old. Once it was started it did not change in terms there was a "reboot". Ofc this is not an official Syno forum if that is your question.
Yes, after a while, I found that I was subscribed to the official Synology Forum on their website. Will be staying here too though as I like to read and learn. Thanks for your reply.
-- post merged: --

The following kb's have details/limitations/caveats regarding drive migration between NAS devices:

Thanks for your response... off to read and then get started!

Hi, old noob here. I finally decided that my DS212j is getting too far behind the DSM version(current 6), and want some of the newer features of 7. My DS212j does not support 7, so am moving to a DS220+.

My question is... since I don't plan on using the old DS212j, can I just move the disks in the DS212j to the new DS220+ and be off and running? I can't seem to find a guide for starting a new DS using old DS disks? If there is a guide, can someone point me in the right direction?

Not to be too pesty, but, is this a new forum? I know I was a member at one time, a few years ago, but had to register as a new member here. Are my old Q and A's threads gone?

Thank you! --Otis (omamed)
How old are the drives in the 212J? You might want to consider new drives in the 220+, depending on age and your budget.

can I just move the disks in the DS212j to the new DS220+ and be off and running
While technically possible, you would hamstring many of the capabilities of the plus NAS. If you desire simply to move drives, buy an updated j-series (however, even the newer ones support btrfs, so they too would be "hamstrung" by a drive move.

How old are the drives in the 212J? You might want to consider new drives in the 220+, depending on age and your budget.
They're 1.5 years old. I'm good there for a while. My first set of drives lasted me 8 years... and only changed them to increase capacity.

You may be best served using Migration Assistant (if available), or otherwise refreshing your backups and restoring that, after moving the drives to the new unit, and performing a factory reset (deleting the drive content).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.