DSM 6.2 Upgrade to DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 3 - BROKE PLEX

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I just upgraded DSM to 6.2.4-25556 Update 3, and now Plex is not working properly! It gets stuck at 99% CPU and doesn't play videos.

My Plex version is 1.24.4.508-6000 - which I believe is the latest, but I haven't received a notice to upgrade for months. Has anyone else seen the same problem? What can I do? I did restart the device, but the same issue remain!

Is it time to upgrade to DSM 7.0, or stick to 6.2.4, I didn't upgrade primarily due to Plex issues on DSM 7.0!

Thanks
-- post merged: --

I just upgraded to Plex 1.25... same issue!

Current version is 1.25.4.5426.

It gets stuck at 99% CPU and doesn't play videos.
This might be that transcoding is hitting your CPU and killing your NAS. Reason could be that the transcoding need is not being done on the client side (or direct play for that matter), and the Plex server (NAS) is tasked.

Unless you have hw transcoding configured (as a Plex Pass feature), the only way to get around it is to find a compatible format for that media you are streaming that will direct play on your target client.

DSM update has nothing to do with this problem, so try and write down as much details as possible. What NAS, do you have Plex Pass or not, what client (hw and sw) are you using and what file format are you using. Can you show what is Plex registering when playing (Dashboard status)?

Current version is 1.25.4.5426.

This might be that transcoding is hitting your CPU and killing your NAS. Reason could be that the transcoding need is not being done on the client side (or direct play for that matter), and the Plex server (NAS) is tasked.

Unless you have hw transcoding configured (as a Plex Pass feature), the only way to get around it is to find a compatible format for that media you are streaming that will direct play on your target client.

DSM update has nothing to do with this problem, so try and write down as much details as possible. What NAS, do you have Plex Pass or not, what client (hw and sw) are you using and what file format are you using. Can you show what is Plex registering when playing (Dashboard status)?

Thanks man, I think that's probably the reason then... interestingly, it seems to work fine on Xbox One client, iPhone client, but NOT when I am playing it on my PC via web Plex. Could that be causing the transcoding issue?

I never bought the Plex Pass, as I didn't think Synology needed it, thought it's only useful on PCs with dedicated video card. Would that solve this problem?

Could that be causing the transcoding issue?
Try and use the Plex dedicated app (not via a browser) for your OS (macOS, win...). Then see if you will see if you will have the same problem or not. Using xbox and iphone you are running the streams via official apps that know how to utilize the hardware on its end and probably the media is being managed on the device itself (and not the NAS).

Considering that you don't have Plex Pass, you need to make sure that your Plex clients are able to direct play the content. In that case you will be sure that your NAS will not be hit by high CPU usage.

Try and use the Plex dedicated app (not via a browser) for your OS (macOS, win...). Then see if you will see if you will have the same problem or not. Using xbox and iphone you are running the streams via official apps that know how to utilize the hardware on its end and probably the media is being managed on the device itself (and not the NAS).

Considering that you don't have Plex Pass, you need to make sure that your Plex clients are able to direct play the content. In that case you will be sure that your NAS will not be hit by high CPU usage.
Thanks so much man!

Just got the windows players app, and it's all fixed! Now Synology CPU is at 3% instead of 99% - wow, makes a huge difference! That's even without Plex pass...

Love this forum, thanks so much!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.