Upgraded to 7.1 - all well but Homebridge?

Currently reading
Upgraded to 7.1 - all well but Homebridge?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I (bravely) updated my DS918+ from six point whatever to 7.1 and I didn't break anything!

I run Homebridge in Docker and it works well. But now DSM Package Centre insists its not running, is not compatible and I should uninstall it. Mostly not true. I can have Siri switch my lights on and off as usual!

Searching here I saw mention of Homebridge now being a native application. But I see no sign in my Package Centre.

Any advice?

Thanks.
-- post merged: --

Ah! So maybe I need this. https://github.com/oznu/homebridge-syno-spk

Those ahead of me: will I have to set Homebridge up as new? Its not going to read the settings from my Docker install is it?

I might jump in and see what breaks!

Personally I would keep it in Docker. Saying that once you deploy it from Package center I'm sure you will be able to transfer the configuration to it via ssh from you docker container volume to bare metal location.

Again, keeping this 3rd party app in a container (that is also maintained) would be a much cleaner solution then to have it on your NAS.

my2c

Upvote 0
Personally I would keep it in Docker.

Soz, I haven't ;)

So that was all very easy. I downloaded a backup from my Homebridge and then deleted it from Docker. The new version installed quickly and I uploaded the backup. Now everything is up and running as before.

I understand why you like Docker. But I'm an occasional user and I have to remind myself how to update a Docker app each time. So if updates are automatic (or a one click affair) I feel happier.

Having given up on NextCloud I don't have any apps running in Docker!

Upvote 0
I have to remind myself how to update a Docker app each time.
This is really super-easy.
  1. Open the Docker application.
  2. Click on Registry in the left pane.
  3. In the search bar, type the name of the container.
  4. Select the image, click Download and then choose the latest tag.
  5. Wait for the download to complete. A notification will appear once done.
  6. Click on Container in the left pane.
  7. Select your container.
  8. Stop it by clicking Action->Stop.
  9. Clear the container by clicking Action->Reset. This removes the container while keeping its configuration (presuming you have your configuration settings mapped to a shared folder).
  10. Start the container again by clicking Action->Start. NOTE: The container may temporarily disappear from the list while it is re-created.
if updates are automatic (or a one click affair) I feel happier.
I don't recommend this, as updates can break things, and happen at inappropriate times. However, there are apps that auto-update Docker containers.

Upvote 0
I don't recommend this, as updates can break things, and happen at inappropriate times. However, there are apps that auto-update Docker containers.
Fear not. Turns out there's no automatic update for Homebridge. I'll have to click the update at an appropriate time!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back