NAS
DS218play, DS220+, DS224+, DS720 , RS3618XS, SA3400
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

I have two SA3400 servers running a HA cluster on DSM6. On them is installed Synology Surveillance station with CMS to manage the camera licences for all recording servers (RS3618xs and DS220+). And on the nas side we installed CMS to be able to centrally update recording servers once we updated to DSM7.

All servers (HA cluster and recording) are currently installed with:

o DSM 6.2.4-25556
o Device pack 5.8.3.-3163
o Surveillance Station 8.2.9-6462

I would like to upgrade the HA cluster to DSM7 but before we go ahead and install DSM7 i would like to have some clarification on a few items:

- To which version do i upgrade the HA cluster? The latest? Our servers are air-gapped so i need to know which DSM7 version to use.

- If i update to the latest DSM7 version on the HA cluster will our recording servers (DSM6) be able to main communication with the HA cluster Surveillance Station CMS? It would be a unwanted situation if our recording servers loose licensing communication. Some of our departments do use live feed moniotoring.

- All our servers use Active Directory to setup who has access to which cameras. We grant people or departments access to cameras by adding their AD group to a loca group we create within Surveillance Station. Will these local groups we have setup be there once we have upgraded to DSM7?

- Is there any way to backup the HA cluster settings? Is that done trough Hyper Backup? We havent done that yet so i need to make sure those settings are safe. It may be a HA cluster but for peace of mind it would be nice have a backup just in case.

Here to learn and share my own knowledge. Why i only found this site now is beyond me. Thanks for your time and input.

- To which version do i upgrade the HA cluster? The latest? Our servers are air-gapped so i need to know which DSM7 version to use.
Best to read the release notes and see what each version offers, so you can plan accordingly.

Best to focus on the KB article regarding update process: Synology High Availability (SHA) User Guide for DSM 7.2

- If i update to the latest DSM7 version on the HA cluster will our recording servers (DSM6) be able to main communication with the HA cluster Surveillance Station CMS?
Once you update to the same version for both devices it should all work fine.
- Is there any way to backup the HA cluster settings? Is that done trough Hyper Backup?
No, HB does not support config backup for HA package.

It may be a HA cluster but for peace of mind it would be nice have a backup just in case.
Fair point but with Ha best to follow best practice and official documentation to avoid any issues including a common split brain.

Once you update to the same version for both devices it should all work fine.
Its just that we have several DS220+ and rackmount recording devices. Which need to stay operational even when the HA cluster is updated to DSM7. So yes it'll be fine once the recording servers are also updated but in the meantime they need to stay working while the CMS servers are on DSM7 and the rest is on DSM6.

I read somewhere that the latest version of Surveillance station for DSM6 is compatible with the one in DSM7. That would mean we can upgrade without loosing the license connection between the HA CMS servers and the recording servers.

But i need to make that is indeed the case. I wish i had logged where i read it but for the life of me i cant find the url ;(

Never betting on one horse soooo i also entered a support ticket with Synology themselves.. and this was their answer:

====================

Latest version should be fine.

- If i update to the latest DSM7 version on the HA cluster will our recording servers (DSM6) be able to main communication with the HA cluster Surveillance Station CMS? It would be a unwanted situation if our recording servers loose licensing communication. Some of our departments do use live feed moniotoring.

Regarding this point, it would be recommended to first upgrade the recording servers to DSM 7, and after all the recording servers are upgraded, then upgrade the managing server. There were some issues in the past where DSM 6 devices had some communication issues when the managing server was upgraded to DSM 7, so to avoid this, all the recording servers should be running the latest DSM 7 version before upgrading the SA.

- All our servers use Active Directory to setup who has access to which cameras. We grant people or departments access to cameras by adding their AD group to a loca group we create within Surveillance Station. Will these local groups we have setup be there once we have upgraded to DSM7?

The groups will remain unchanged after the upgrade.

- Is there any way to backup the HA cluster settings? Is that done trough Hyper Backup? We havent done that yet so i need to make sure those settings are safe. It may be a HA cluster but for peace of mind it would be nice have a backup just in case.

From what we know in the information available to us, there is no way to backup the cluster settings. We can double check with the team at HQ, but so far, both the DSM Configuration Backup and Hyper Backup would not be able to backup the cluster settings.
====================

That said its still best to have all servers, CMS cluster and recording servers at the same version of DSM, Surveillance Station and Device pack before attempting to upgrade. It will not be this week or the week after but once we have done this upgrade i'll report back here.

Update.

I got it confirmed from Synology that the steps to follow are:

Step 1
- Update Surveillance Station on DSM6 HA cluster to 9.1.4-9002 with Device pack 6.1.4-6240 (latest version for DSM 6)

Step 2
- Update recording servers to DSM 7.2-64570 update with Surveillance Station 9.1.4-11002 and Device pack 6.1.4-6241
Which makes them compatible with the Surveillance Station CMS on the HA cluster, keeping central licensing alive.

Step 3
- Update DSM6 HA cluster to DSM 7.2-64570 which brings surveillance station and device pack versions to the same version as on the recording servers.

In my mind this will work. Now to go do this on a live enivorenment with end users who need to adjust to the new layout of surveillance station. Im dreading the reactions to that bit more then i do the actual upgrade process :D

Update.

I got it confirmed from Synology that the steps to follow are:

Step 1
- Update Surveillance Station on DSM6 HA cluster to 9.1.4-9002 with Device pack 6.1.4-6240 (latest version for DSM 6)

Step 2
- Update recording servers to DSM 7.2-64570 update with Surveillance Station 9.1.4-11002 and Device pack 6.1.4-6241
Which makes them compatible with the Surveillance Station CMS on the HA cluster, keeping central licensing alive.

Step 3
- Update DSM6 HA cluster to DSM 7.2-64570 which brings surveillance station and device pack versions to the same version as on the recording servers.

In my mind this will work. Now to go do this on a live enivorenment with end users who need to adjust to the new layout of surveillance station. Im dreading the reactions to that bit more then i do the actual upgrade process :D

Small update. Step 2 requires installing the needed patches first before finally arriving at the DSM 7.2.1 version.
Same goes for the CMS servers.

We had created several different layouts in Surveillance Station and some users with different rights. We noticed they are gone once the update to 7.2.4 is done. Cameras are still there luckily but somehow the layouts and users are gone?

Anyone experience the same?

just a tip - upgrade to DSM 7.x carefully. Synology has gotten rather sloppy with releasing buggy updates that started with the release of 7, and as you should know by now, once you upgrade there's no supported was of rolling back.

just a tip - upgrade to DSM 7.x carefully. Synology has gotten rather sloppy with releasing buggy updates that started with the release of 7, and as you should know by now, once you upgrade there's no supported was of rolling back.
Yep we know. So far we managed to update our test platform. But that platform was not airgapped as is our production platform.

But we'll keep going and i'll update this post.

We managed to update the CMS HA cluster and all underlying VMS recording servers.

Probably an error on our network department but we, at first, did not recieve any update messages and could not update the packages list. Had to resort to a . rule but we managed to update dsm to 7.0 and all SS instances were repaired.

Now planning all systems tot 7.2 latest version so we can call this a done deal.

We were under the assumption that packages were also update through the CMS cluster but that not appear to be so. We had to login to each VMS server and update SS to its latest version.

Which leads me to my new question. We would like to only allow access to global.download.synology.com from our CMS and VMS servers. Yet our network department cannot seem to get that dialed in. Does anybody have any experience with that issue?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.