Upgrading Firmware And Changing Sector Size On Seagate HDDs, While Installed In Your Synology NAS

Tutorial Upgrading Firmware And Changing Sector Size On Seagate HDDs, While Installed In Your Synology NAS

Currently reading
Tutorial Upgrading Firmware And Changing Sector Size On Seagate HDDs, While Installed In Your Synology NAS

NAS
DS1511+, RS1221+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
NAS_Master submitted a new resource:

Upgrading Firmware And Changing Sector Size On Seagate HDDs, While Installed In Your Synology NAS - Upgrading Firmware And Changing Sector Size On Seagate X16 Exos / IronWolf / IronWolf Pro HDDs

Upgrading Firmware And Changing Sector Size On Seagate X16 Exos / IronWolf / IronWolf Pro HDDs, While Installed In Your Synology NAS​

I've recently purchased a new Synology RS1221+ NAS and several Seagate Exos X16 HDDs, and needed to convert them from the factory 512 byte setting, to the native 4096 byte sector size. I notice a lot of guides are using desktop computers / external HDD...

Read more about this resource...

I've read a little bit on 4kn drives but not enough to fully understand much beyond that you can't mix them with non 4kn drives is a disk array. Can you clarify what is gained from this procedure?

I've read a little bit on 4kn drives but not enough to fully understand much beyond that you can't mix them with non 4kn drives is a disk array. Can you clarify what is gained from this procedure?

4Kn hard drives (4K = 4096 bytes; n = native) utilize much larger drive sectors, allowing the spaces to be less frequent. The benefit of fewer spaces is it allows for more of the drive's volume to be used for your data.

The transition from 512n drives to 4K native disk drives is driven by multiple factors, such as storage density, reliability, and more.

Hi geekau,

I am trying to do the same thing as you mentioned here following your steps. But I encountered an error:

sudo: ./SeaChest_Lite: command not found

Not sure what's wrong.

I already have root in the ssh. See attached screenshot.

Many thanks for your help~
Simon

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 12

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back