Upgrading from DSM 6.2.4 to DSM 7 - is it safe (Docker containers, packages etc.)?

Currently reading
Upgrading from DSM 6.2.4 to DSM 7 - is it safe (Docker containers, packages etc.)?

NAS
DS1618+, DS918+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,
I finally came to a decision to upgrade my DS1618+ from DSM 6.2.4 to a DSM 7. As there is a lot of packages and few docker containers (with their databases), I would like to know from someone who already ran through it - is it safe? Will everything upgrade without any damage? Especially these are very important for me to have working again without hassles after the upgrade:

portainer2 (running in docker)
vaultwarden (running in docker)
baserow (running in docker)

The last two have their databases somewhere in a system folder (I guess in a @docker folder). Will they be migrated and properly working again?

From standard packages that I am afraid of:

Video station and its database and settings
Plex Media Server (installed manually, package from the official Plex website, not that one from Synology Package center)
Note Station
Hyperbackup (will all tasks and their setting survive?)
ActiveBackup for Business (as above - tasks and settings)

I would like to know from someone who already ran through it - is it safe?
It is, as long as you know what you are doing. Be prepared that you will have at least 3 updates of DSM at this point considering your current DSM version.

portainer2 (running in docker)
vaultwarden (running in docker)
baserow (running in docker)
Docker upgrade will be just fine. The new package has been rebranded and is named Container Manager now, but in terms of Docker version nothing major. The current version is EOL, but Synology will upgrade Docker to the latest version in the upcoming 7.2.2 (or 7.3) version soon. The point is that containers as such will not be an issue as there are no major Docker changes in terms of the platform and version.

Video station and its database and settings
Do not expect any issues

Plex Media Server (installed manually, package from the official Plex website, not that one from Synology Package center)
This is the package that you have to be careful with. Be sure to uninstall Plex package before you update to the first DSM 7 version, and then after that reinstall it and follow the process. This is the package that has undergone a major security change and not following the process of migration will give you headaches. If you want, read up on the process before you start DSM upgrade here:

Keep in mind that once you get it running on the new DSM 7, any further updates will be as simple as giving it a new package via the Package Center and following the Plex wizard. It is just the first migration that has to be executed correctly to prepare and accommodate the new DSM 7 security changes.

Note Station
Hyperbackup (will all tasks and their setting survive?)
ActiveBackup for Business (as above - tasks and settings)
Do not expect any issues with any of these packages.

As usual, having a backup of all important things, configurations, etc, is welcome before running the update!

It is, as long as you know what you are doing. Be prepared that you will have at least 3 updates of DSM at this point considering your current DSM version.

Docker upgrade will be just fine. The new package has been rebranded and is named Container Manager now, but in terms of Docker version nothing major. The current version is EOL, but Synology will upgrade Docker to the latest version in the upcoming 7.2.2 (or 7.3) version soon. The point is that containers as such will not be an issue as there are no major Docker changes in terms of the platform and version.

Do not expect any issues

This is the package that you have to be careful with. Be sure to uninstall Plex package before you update to the first DSM 7 version, and then after that reinstall it and follow the process. This is the package that has undergone a major security change and not following the process of migration will give you headaches. If you want, read up on the process before you start DSM upgrade here:

Keep in mind that once you get it running on the new DSM 7, any further updates will be as simple as giving it a new package via the Package Center and following the Plex wizard. It is just the first migration that has to be executed correctly to prepare and accommodate the new DSM 7 security changes.

Do not expect any issues with any of these packages.

As usual, having a backup of all important things, configurations, etc, is welcome before running the update!
thank you very much!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.