Currently reading
UPS (APC ES 550) acts strange

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
My UPS has begin to act strange during powerloss. My NAS, DS918+, seems to close down during power loss after my specified timeout but when the NAS has stopped, the UPS begins to beep, LOUD and continously.
When power goes on again, it continues to beep and NAS doesn't turn on, unless I press the power-button on the UPS itself, then it stops and the NAS boots.
What has happened? It hasn't acted this way previously.
I see no indications that the battery has gone bad.

How long have you had the UPS? And have you replaced the battery?

I've the APC Back-UPS ES 700 and recall that it started to emit the alert when the battery was around 3 years old, and probably after a power glitch. I replaced it with an official battery and it lasted about 2.5 years, but I did manage to spill a glass of water that trickled over the desk and onto the UPS. It didn't like that. After drying out it still didn't work.

Got a new ES 700 and tested the new battery in the old UPS and it started working again. So bought the equivalent Yuasa battery at loads cheaper. So now have two ES 700 UPS splitting the load for three NAS, router, and network/ISP kit.

Since you're on Windows, and if you haven't already, you can use APC's PowerChute Personal Edition software to manage the UPS. For other OS there's apcupsd, which I've run on Mac via some Linux VirtualBox VM: I want to use Mac's built-in UPS monitoring for my Mac's APC UPS so don't want apcupsd to grab the USB port fulltime, and VirtualBox [un]assigning USB works well.

Once configured you can then return the USB management cable back to the NAS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.