Currently reading
UPS caused Synology to shut down improperly

NAS
DS1621+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi - I've had a few frustrating experiences with my connected UPS (CP1000PFCLCD) to DS1621+. Periodically it will lose connection to the UPS which is hooked up via USB. Maybe the UPS USB port is going bad? Not sure if this is a known issue or if my UPS is bad. Regardless, yesterday the USB connection was lost again to DS1621+, and then 50 minutes later I got a message that Synology was shut down improperly (I printed something to my laser printer which can cause a spike, but the Synology is hooked up to the battery portion of UPS). The printer is not hooked up to UPS at all (I know better). Even though the Synology is hooked up to battery portion of UPS, I'm confused as to why it would even shut down improperly at that exact moment I printed something. I would have thought the UPS surge and battery protection would have prevented anything going to the Synology to cause an improper shut down (and it didn't shut down from what I can tell - I heard a beep from the Synology and all is still running but it forced a data scrubbing again). Here are the summarized messages I got from DSM:

1. Synology lost connection to the UPS [then 50 minutes later I got the below 3 messages all at the same time when I printed something]

2. Synology was shut down improperly

3. Because of abnormal power failure or storage pool reassembling, data scrubbing is running on Storage Pool 1 automatically....

4. Synology has connected to the UPS

I saw a related thread to this on Synology Community forums which made me check some settings of mine, and I wanted to post here as well to get additional advice/comments. I confirmed that my UPS setting on Synology was set to "Until low battery". My UPS shows that I have 1890 seconds estimated battery with it charged at 100%. Based on that other thread, I have now changed it to "Customize time = 5 minutes", but have not tested it (not sure how to test this without causing another data scrubbing and improper shutdown to take place). One thing to note is I did not receive a message from DSM about the UPS going into battery mode and displaying the estimated battery time, which makes sense since the USB connection was lost prior to the "improper shut down".

I'm concerned this is going to happen again if I don't change something. If the USB connection happens to "disconnect" on its own, this can all repeat. Am I doing something wrong? Now it's going to take another week for data scrubbing to complete (I have 6 drives in mine and it takes forever to complete). I appreciate any help/insight on this! Thanks very much.

Synology lost UPS connection again today after a storm was in the area, so maybe the UPS (or Synology) is just very sensitive to spikes. I got the email notification from Synology about losing connection to UPS, so this time I just did a remote restart of Synology and it connected back to UPS. So at least this part is good news in that a restart may be all that's needed to get the UPS USB connection working again to the Synology (before I thought I had to shut down or unplug/plug back in the cord to reestablish the connection). Wish there was a reliable USB connection that can be maintained without this happening as I'm not always around to continuously monitor its health.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.