Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Question from some other person……,

They have a synology NAS.
NO UPS as of yet.

So they asked me about UPS considerations….

Frankly, because I do have a whole house generator, I Don’t bother with a connection between UPS & NAS. As long as UPS Works for 30-45 seconds, I don’t need a connection. By that time I’m on generator! All I need to do is have a UPS available at same location as NAS— and I’m done!
He has no generator, so his needs are different than mine.

I remember multiple posts about this.

What is the current status of V6 & V7 & UPS connections? & is it USB OR serial or Ethernet connection, and can any UPS MFG work or just some?

Thanks

Am I to assume UPS connections on an un-altered NAS with V6 or V7 does not work, for ‘automatic shutdown’ then?
I'm using a USB connected UPS (APC Back-UPS ES 700G) on my DSM 6 DS718+ and it communicates fine with the Syno. In the event of a power failure you can set the syno to either shut down and leave the UPS running, or alternatively set the UPS to also shutdown after the syno shuts down.
Synology uses the NUT UPS framework (Network UPS Tools - Welcome) so any UPS on their compatibility list should work ok with any Synology.
I have no experience using the ethernet / NUT network server functionality.

hth

Question from some other person……,

They have a synology NAS.
NO UPS as of yet.

So they asked me about UPS considerations….

Frankly, because I do have a whole house generator, I Don’t bother with a connection between UPS & NAS. As long as UPS Works for 30-45 seconds, I don’t need a connection. By that time I’m on generator! All I need to do is have a UPS available at same location as NAS— and I’m done!
He has no generator, so his needs are different than mine.

I remember multiple posts about this.

What is the current status of V6 & V7 & UPS connections? & is it USB OR serial or Ethernet connection, and can any UPS MFG work or just some?

Thanks
I have multiple DS920+'s in multiple locations — no generators. I use and have used UPS's on my servers for decades, well before I installed Synology's. The UPS setup in DSM 6.x and 7.x is clean and simple, but I can only speak to having the NAS directly hooked to the UPS, not a network UPS powering multiple endpoints, servers, etc.

In my case today I am careful to use true sine-wave UPS devices that provide clean power non-stop. The connect to the Synology NAS via a USB cable and there is 2-way communication between the NAS<—>UPS. Shutdown & restart routines can be easily customized. For our setups I set the Synology's to shut down once UPS reserve power hits X%. I previously set it to 10-min, but at 10-min I still had 145-min of run time left, so changed it to % vs. time-certain. I set it to restart upon utility power being restored to the UPS. The restart does delay a bit until restored power is stable, a feature I believe of the UPS. My company is currently using CyberPower CST 1400S's and CST 1500's. I believe the CST1400 is currently available through Costco.

We have also used APC, TrippLite and a few others I don't recall off hand. None of them were as good as these — not even close. We are now 8-years in the the CyberPower units and have replaced a battery in one. The batteries are supposed to last 3- to 5-years so only the newest acquisitions are covering the NAS's, switches, and routers. Older units are relegated to non-essential sensitive electronics.

We do keep track of surges, etc., as these beat up the circuitry of a UPS forcing replacement of the u nit, not just a battery. Generally the mfg assumes the units have about a 10-year life, or roughly the original battery and 1-replacement, after which they should be replaced.

The actual vs. displayed runtime on an older unit can be monitored by simulating a blackout with equipment plugged in and running. When the batteries go bad what you'll see is faster degradation of the reserve power of the battery. Replacement batteries are available from Amazon and elsewhere for reasonable prices.

The one issue I continue to see with these, and frankly every brand, is they employ a protective scratch-resistant film at the OEM which by the time you get the unit indoors smells uncomfortably like moth balls. This does dissipate fairly rapidly but we tent to stage ours outside of the office in a garage or some such for several days before putting them in service. I see this, though, with just about everything coming out of Asia and wonder if it has more to do with Ag inspections at the port of entry than anything else… But that's just a WAG.

HTH,

Last edited:
Thanks. I personally have both pure and created sine wave 1500VA Cyberpower.’s. And have not found any issues between either models during stand own AC or on long term generator created AC with any consumer or broadcast video or IT gear’s power supplies on them, as long as they have AVR, and are NOT the cheapy—sump pump UPS versions.

The generator service guy did tweak the LP Gas regulator to generator (20KW) to account for wider instantaneous swings in generator loading, and also installed newer code in the controller for this, too — and that may account for my not seeing any switchmode power supply sensitivity’s with attached gear with creative sine wave UPS’s vs pure sine wave. We have aLso not encountered any plug in surge suppressor issues with generator or UPS’s power, either. The whole house surge suppressor is only attached to external AC power feed.

I have smelled something similar on new units (have 5x 1500VA units) even when the films are removed, but agree it is only when new.

Overall, I could not be happier with either the whole house generator, nor the 5x UPS’s we have here.

You may want to consider the installation of an AC soft-starter or similar unit. If my WAG is correct these are essentially capacitors that absorb the initial surge and store same, balancing the power to the drawing device. HVAC systems are notorious for massive initial loads at startup, as are all compressors such as refrigerators and ice machines.

Just a thought.

BTW 'created/creative sine wave' = step-wave?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.