Currently reading
UPS: Should the NAS poweroff ? Mine does NOT

NAS
DS1621+, DS1621+, DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I connected a UPS to my main DS1621+, and set it to enter safe mode in 5 minutes. I also set all my nas's to talk to the main nas as the ups server and get the settings from server which is 5 minutes. I pulled the plug from the wall and and the ups will power everything for about 20 mins. So the nas's went into safe mode I guess, I could not access them and they showed offline, but they were all still powered on. After 15 more mins (or so) everything went off, presumably when the ups ran out of power.

is that the correct way for that to work? I figured after 5 mins, they would all power off since thats what I thought the setting would do. Do I leave it this way?

Do you have “Shutdown UPS when the system enters safe mode” checked?
No, because I have other items connected like the switch and modem, etc... Just seemed strange to have the NAS "on" until the power dies. ??? I assumed the NAS would power itself off? I guess that is not correct?

That's the way to do it. It won’t power itself off, it’ll enter “safe mode”. What's the use of having the other devices on power for a bit longer?

Anyways, you'll need to test it. Synology is very finicky about UPS compatibility now.

Check no. 5

No, because I have other items connected like the switch and modem, etc... Just seemed strange to have the NAS "on" until the power dies. ??? I assumed the NAS would power itself off? I guess that is not correct?
Yep, I have mine set up like that too.

I'd just like the nas to shut off, I don't understand why they don't have that option.

I've got a big APC unit, it's an older unit (with new batteries) and worked instantly. I actually have a total of 3 nas plugged in, a computer/htpc, 2 switches, a modem, and a wireless AP. They all run for about 20 minutes with the UPS unplugged from the wall. My main NAS is acting as a NUT server (I think NUT is the correct term?) the other 2 nas talk to the first nas to see if its time to enter safe mode. And they all do what they're supposed to, I guess I didn't know/understand what "safe mode" was. But the media center shuts down as its supposed to, the other nas (all synology) go into safe mode, and I guess they just wait. I've got the setting set to 5 minutes, so I guess after 5 minutes it enters safe mode - I need to see what happens if after 10 minutes the power comes back - I have to assume the nas will just stay in safe mode. hmm.. I need to re-think this setup.

Yep, I have mine set up like that too.

I'd just like the nas to shut off, I don't understand why they don't have that option.
I think the reason that the synology goes into a 'safe-but-running' mode is so that it has a minimal OS running in RAM that allows it to reboot when power is restored.
It is confusing; iirc the guides don't make it particularly clear that the NAS doesnt actually shut down but goes into a sort of stand-by mode.
The synology is safe to have its power cut when it is in this state, which is ultimately what you need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.