UPS support and Synology from update 6.2.2-24922

Currently reading
UPS support and Synology from update 6.2.2-24922

NUT is the first candidate from research, but never used before.
Then there is the question about your experiences.
First - diagnostic of the UPS LAN devices in single dashboard.
Second - from last Syno update I lost NAS suport to my central 3kW UPS in rack. Just accidentally discovered. I can’t see the UPS in DSM Control panel. I have Lnx drivers for the UPS also, then I need to find a workaround.
I can't count, that Syno will repair it to previous state (I know, that they announced a fix) or I can count that they will again change some features. Then independent solution is better for me.
This is the reason, why I’m looking for your experiences.

I too thought I had 'lost' my UPS support - an AMC UPS Back-UPS 350., which I discovered only because I was looking through the 'Control Panel' for other things. The only UPS options offered was either a 'Synology' UPS or an SNMP device. I logged a call expressing my surprise (shock!) that such support has been removed in the DSM 6.2.2 update. Synology came back to say that nothing had been removed and suggested that I remove/replace the UPS lead from the UPS into the NAS (DS1812+). But before I had received this reply I had cause to shutdown (not restart) the NAS. I took the opportunity to power cycle the UPS which I hadn't done in some time. After powering the NAS back up, the UPS options were back - the AMC was detected and I could select 'low battery' to start the shutdown procedure. In an update to my support ticket, I added that a better diagnostic could be provided for issues with the USB communication other than to offer just 'Synology'/SNMP UPS options!!

Does anyone have information or a resource for installing/setting up the NUT. For instance on its download page what’s the actual download file...is it .tar.gz ? Outside of microsoft’s Windows and msi installers, I don’t know a thing about this kind of stuff.

web download:
Link

and Dockerized version:
Link

I found this step by step Link

The section “Be sure to substitute your own NAS’s IP address. Note that monuser and secret are the default username and password for the ups device user.”

Do we leave monuser and secret or is that being substituted as well with an active account? Which account is the ups device user? Is it all admin accounts? Can a specific user account be created only privileged for the ups?

the first problem is, that this UPS setup page from DSM 6.2.2 -24922 is gone for me:

now is just like this (what is better for independent UPS server), but I totally lost recognition of my UPS from NAS side:

Further to my earlier reply suggesting a full power down of both the NAS and the UPS (a supported APC running for years), I was running the first iteration of DSM 6.2.2 but then I did upgrade to the latest version obtained directly from the Synology website (which should be the 3rd update without a name change!) as I hadn't been offered anything from the control panel. But even with the update and a restart I still didn't see my UPS until the full power cycle. But by this point I wasn't in a position to test the Synology support suggestion of simply removing/replacing the USB connection.

the first problem is, that this UPS setup page from DSM 6.2.2 -24922 is gone for me:
This is the view I get on the DS215j which has the UPS's USB cable connected. I've added the IP of the other NAS into the permitted list.

now is just like this (what is better for independent UPS server), but I totally lost recognition of my UPS from NAS side:
This is what I would see on the DS218+ if I hadn't already selected Synology UPS Server. It doesn't have a directly connected USB UPS.
Of course. That’s the recommended practice. I keep one in my car too in case the battery goes flat, it kicks in :D
I've now got three. The first died and I thought it couldn't be the official replacement battery that had deid so it must be the unit. I then ordered a direct replacement but it was taking ages to arrive so I ordered a different one (APC BX), planning to return whichever came second. I didn't. Eventually I was able to confirm that the APC replacement battery had died and a very reasonably priced Yuasa battery made it that I now have three working UPS.

Me too just lost my UPS config after my last reboot (also on 6.2.2-24922), at least that what's it says: "No UPS is connected"

But when I disconnect/reconnect my USB cable, I get this in the notification center

So the NAS is clearly still recognizing the UPS.
-----------------------
A few moments later ⏳(with a French accent)
-----------------------
Now, after reconnecting my USB cable, and waiting 5 min, the UPS is back! Go figure! 🤪 o_O
Do YOU get any notifications too when you unplug your UPS?

Me too just lost my UPS config after my last reboot (also on 6.2.2-24922), at least that what's it says: "No UPS is connected"
I ran into this a few days ago. Rebooted and all came back on. Just rechecked and the UPS is still recognized.

Notably, there was a new update released (Update1) that had some UPS changes, but apparently, it was pulled.

After the 3 successive releases of v6.2.2-24922, each with the same build number, I'm getting concerned about coding quality.

Note: I heard that the reason for using the same build number was to "save face" over the inadequate quality of the first two releases. For all practical aspects, those no longer exist (or as our benefactors would allude... "they never did exist"). #culturalcollision

I ran into this a few days ago. Rebooted and all came back on. Just rechecked and the UPS is still recognized.

Notably, there was a new update released (Update1) that had some UPS changes, but apparently, it was pulled.

After the 3 successive releases of v6.2.2-24922, each with the same build number, I'm getting concerned about coding quality.

Note: I heard that the reason for using the same build number was to "save face" over the inadequate quality of the first two releases. For all practical aspects, those no longer exist (or as our benefactors would allude... "they never did exist"). #culturalcollision
#fakenews 📰

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.