1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,
First post so please be gentle ...
I am looking for a way to have a searchable URL log for individual clients on the network. Am aware that SRM provides some level of logging but this seems very basic and cant pin down individual network users accessing specific url's for up to a month. I am surprised there is no package that allows you to log to an external drive.
Ideally I would like to download a log to excel for analysis and then to create a blocklist from it.

Is this level of functionality beyond the RT 2600ac ?
I have a DS918+ if this helps ....
TIA

This is not something that the RT2600 can do. (And I'm not sure you'd want a SOHO grade router doing this, just because the overhead would be pretty high, and would likely slow the router noticeably on its other tasks).

It would be helpful to understand why you want to do this. Is the purpose of the blocklist to block sites of certain types so that, e.g., younger family members can't access them? Or to block malicious sites? Or something else?

Last edited:
The monitor under traffic control allows you to select domain, this does show a lot of info, how useful it is for you I cant say, but it does give a good indicator who is doing what and it does let you go back a day, week, month or year.
There isnt a way to export it though.
I have logged a feature request in the past for more granular reporting eg selecting between dates/times.

Thanks all for the replies, I had felt that what I was asking - the existing live log to be saved for detailed analysis - wasn't significantly more onerous for the router.
Lets hope Synology have it up their sleeve somewhere, particularly given their NAS would be an ideal place for the log to be saved to.

As more and more PCs and Macs start using DNS over HTTPS, logging DNS using the router will be less and less useful, as the DNS queries will be encrypted and hidden from the router.
Unless you block HTTPS to known public DoH servers. But SRM firewall isn't that good to do this since group objects aren't supported for defining a bunch of destination IPs/hostnames.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.