NAS
DS720+ DX517
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Motherboard Huananzhi X99-TF ATX
Realtech on board network card.

I’m using this board because my Asus board failed and I felt that the CPU and RAM were both fine, at least I hoped. Assembled the new board, the only one available that I could find, and everything loaded as before, and all tests on cpu and memory tested fine. NIC works fine and connects to the internet and my Synology, no problems.
Ran backup tasks on this and several other computers, Synology healthy. I ordered some fresh USB 32 gig sticks and started the Recovery Media Creator on another computer. Made two copies and both tested just fine, booted to the Synology and, even though I didn’t complete the process, I took it to the last step.
Tried both sticks in the above board and both failed, so I made two more USB sticks on the above MOBO, in case that was the problem, both failed.
When I pound F11 for the boot menu and choose, UEFI: USB Disk 2.0 PMAP, Partition 1,
it boots to the Synology menu but won’t connect to the DS720+, with the error: Failed to connect to the server, please check your internet connection and try again. When I fill in the numbers manually I get the same result. If I go to the command line window, I can’t ping anything. It seems that no NIC driver has loaded. I downloaded a newer ver. of the Win10 Realtek driver for this MOBO. I created another usb media. Still no Joy. Copied the new Realtek Lan folder to the USB stick booted the USB and loaded it manually from within the Synology Restore media and all is well, connected to the DS720+ and restore is available.

I’m sure it this problem has to do with me swapping MOBO’s..
Don’t know how to automate the process on this particular machine any further.
Comments welcome, or if this helps anyone, always test…
Kenny

good job

first:
you need just 1GB space in the purchased 32GB USB stick (keep it for the restore)

back to main issue:
UEFI is great, but there are know similar issues (low cost mobo) based on cooperation between UEFI and OS bootloaders = specially between firmware initialization (based on basic drivers) and drivers loading process stored in the OS side.
conclusion:
test, test, test ... then you can save your mental health when a sh.t happens
more, when you will use such niche hw (Huananzhi)

Thanks jeyare, would never have bought this MOBO but it was the last one made as far as I could find.

never heard about this vendor,
I like custom made devices more than 30y and last 20y still with Gigabyte Ultra Durable Mobos.
But I can’t imagine how is possible to sell new combo from such vendor official store, just for 341Eur incl shipping to EU:

HUANANZHI X99 AD4 X99 Motherboard with Intel XEON E5 2680 v4 with 4*8G DDR4 NON-ECC memory combo kit set NVME NGFF SATA USB 3.0​

No problem creating the USB boot media but when trying to restore PC, no network drivers are present so cannot connect to NAS to proceed with the restore.
The bootable media was created with restore media creator wizard so I'm not sure what I've done wrong or why the network driver was not installed on the USB.
Any suggestions?

No problem creating the USB boot media but when trying to restore PC, no network drivers are present so cannot connect to NAS to proceed with the restore.
The bootable media was created with restore media creator wizard so I'm not sure what I've done wrong or why the network driver was not installed on the USB.
Any suggestions?
Uefi or “legacy” boot?

Did you load the driver manually, like I did? Boot the usb and try it. Did you read the whole of my thread, at the top of this page?

Last edited:
Hi Rusty, I apologise but I’m not familiar with the terms.

I created the boot USB with the Synology Restore Media Creator application. The process required me to download and install Windows ADK and Windows PE first, which I did. After this the process was automatic.

After pressing F12 on my laptop boot to enter BIOS mode I selected the USB media and was then faced with a dialogue window prompting me to Log in to my Synology NAS to continue. I noticed the small network icon had a red “X” on it so I clicked on the menu icon and opened the driver list to see there was no Network adaptor driver listed. With no network interface recognised there was no way to proceed further with he restore process and I have no idea what to do next. Unfortunately, I’m not a tech expert.

My laptop is a Lenovo X1 Extreme gen 2.

I hope this provides context to your question and thanks for whatever support you can provide.
-- post merged: --

Did you load the driver manually, like I did? Boot the usb and try it. Did you read the whole of my thread, at the top of this page?
Thanks Ken, I'll try and find the folder you're referring to and copy it to my boot USB, even though I'm not confident where it's located. My network card is produced by Intel. I just don't understand why the Synology Restore Media Creator application didn't install the network driver automatically. My laptop is a standard configuration with no modifications.
I'm assuming the correct driver is in the System32/DriverStore directory but I have no idea what to select. There are so many folders!!

I've managed to find a solution. I had previously downloaded and extracted the INterl Network drivers and copied the folder containing the .inf file to the USB media root. Then within the boot interface, I opened the driver list and then manually selected the driver but navigating to the previously copied folder.
After some research I learned I could add the missing divers to the boot.wim folder, contained within the sources folder by using DISM GUI.
Once this process was completed the boot process automatically recognised the network driver.
Success!!

I learned I could add the missing divers to the boot.wim folder, contained within the sources folder by using DISM GUI.
Once this process was completed the boot process automatically recognised the network driver.

Thanks, that was info I was looking for also!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.