USB Backup Drive Format?

Currently reading
USB Backup Drive Format?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I just bought and setup a DS1522 with 3ea 14 WD Pros. I'm still in the "organizational phase", moving, deleting dups, etc.. I have an OWC Dual Pro USB enclosure with 2ea 12TB drives installed, currently running as independent drives. Currently, one drive contains all the data, the other is the temporary backup drive. For now I'm just experimenting and trying to setup a backup schedule routine. I had formatted the drive to EXFAT per SpaceRex, but that backup failed due to numerous special characters and other issues. I then formatted the drive to EXT4 and this backup seems to be running fine (about 13hrs for 8TBs).
Question, since I only have Macs, and will only ever have Macs, can I format this backup drive to HFS+?.... or does HyperBackup require the EXT4? Pros/Cons?

Said this somewhere else, my approach is... for USB drives that are only going to be used on the NAS then ext4, but for USB drives that I think I'll want to connect to the Mac (etc.) I use exFAT. Haven't formatted any drive with HFS+ for a long time now. The simple test for HFS+ with Hyper Backup is to try it, and report back.

For USB drives I only use on Mac I have switched to using APFS, though I have older drives still on HFS+.

I'm not so concerned with using ext4 as I have three NAS so can connect the USB drives to another if one fails. The Mac alternative would be to find a solution for adding ext4 filesystem support, or run virtualised Linux. That's so it's possible to use the Hyper Backup Explorer application. Though I wonder why there are issues with Hyper Backup and exFAT: are you doing a single-version backup or multi-version vault?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Said this somewhere else, my approach is... for USB drives that are only going to be used on the NAS then ext4, but for USB drives that I think I'll want to connect to the Mac (etc.) I use exFAT. Haven't formatted any drive with HFS+ for a long time now. The simple test for HFS+ with Hyper Backup is to try it, and report back.

For USB drives I only use on Mac I have switched to using APFS, though I have older drives still on HFS+.

I'm not so concerned with using ext4 as I have three NAS so can connect the USB drives to another if one fails. The Mac alternative would be to find a solution for adding ext4 filesystem support, or run virtualised Linux. That's so it's possible to use the Hyper Backup Explorer application. Though I wonder why there are issues with Hyper Backup and exFAT: are you doing a single-version backup or multi-version vault?
Thanks! As reported, the ExFat backup failed. I am slowly going thru the data and fixing the special character issues (mainly the "/" used in folder names), so ExFat may be the fall back. The EXT4 backup was totally successful, took 24hrs for 8TBs, but can't be read on the Mac. Next test will be HFS and I'll advise.
FYI, currently still running older OSs (10.9 thru 10.11) so HFS is my only choice right now (no APFS). One of the main reasons for the NAS is to gather data off of multiple "older" computers, update OSs to 10.13, then buy a new "disposable" Mac. Getting the nas and getting the data in order has been priority over the new computer for now.
I currently have the data safe on two other hard drives so for now I'm just testing the best way to backup the nas and get an idea of the process, time needed, etc. (We're getting two days of bad weather so I may put this all on hold until it's all past.)

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong... since I've never had to restore a nas I'm working from theory. If I'm restoring a nas due to crashed drives, nas failure, etc, my computer doesn't need to be able to read the BU drive, only the nas needs to read the drive. You would plug the BU drive into the new/replaced hardware and restore from the BU drive via HyperBackup from the nas. You don't do this in any way from a computer. Correct? Why does it matter if it can be read from a Mac or PC?

Now I do understand the ability to read the backup from EXFAT via the EXFAT Explorer client on the computer, but this isn't REQUIRED for a restore, just a handy tool.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong... since I've never had to restore a nas I'm working from theory. If I'm restoring a nas due to crashed drives, nas failure, etc, my computer doesn't need to be able to read the BU drive, only the nas needs to read the drive. You would plug the BU drive into the new/replaced hardware and restore from the BU drive via HyperBackup from the nas. You don't do this in any way from a computer. Correct? Why does it matter if it can be read from a Mac or PC?

Now I do understand the ability to read the backup from EXFAT via the EXFAT Explorer client on the computer, but this isn't REQUIRED for a restore, just a handy tool.

You are correct. To restore to the NAS with the USB drive attached directly to the NAS your client computers do not need to be able to read the USB drive.

Upvote 0
Better to try today than wait to discover the backup is off the rails.
Exactly. While I have all the data safe on two other drives, I feel I want to experiment. The only thing I lose now is time.

Upvote 0
The reason to use the desktop Hyper Backup Explorer would to access/recover your data files from a multi-version vault, when the NAS isn’t available. It’s a fallback solution. But as said above, the normal restore/recovery process is to do this with Hyper Backup on the NAS itself.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.