USB Copy Function for MicroSD Cards

NAS
DS220j,DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I would like to use the USB Copy function of my DS220+ to copy over video footage from my GoPro onto my NAS.

The video footage is stored on a MicroSD card.

What is the best way to use the USB Copy function?

Do I need to get some kind of adaptor so that the MicroSD card can connect to the USB port of the NAS?

Do I need to get some kind of adaptor so that the MicroSD card can connect to the USB port of the NAS?
SD card interface =/= USB interface, so yes you need a SD card or microSD card to USB adapter. Look for a USB 3 adapter. There are plenty on your favourite online tech store.

That is unless the GoPro has a USB interface that presents the card as a mass-storage device. In which case you could plug the camera directly into the NAS's USB port.

What is the best way to use the USB Copy function?
You'll first have to connect the camera or USB adapter into the NAS and then launch USB Copy. Now you can create a task.

At present Synology still charges £3.99 for the exFAT package and you'll need this if your card is formatted this way. Murmurs are that this charge will be dropped at some point.

Upvote 0
That is unless the GoPro has a USB interface that presents the card as a mass-storage device. In which case you could plug the camera directly into the NAS's USB port.

At present Synology still charges £3.99 for the exFAT package and you'll need this if your card is formatted this way. Murmurs are that this charge will be dropped at some point.

I like your suggestion to plug the camera directly into the NAS. The camera has a USB-C connection to the camera itself and a regular USB connection on the other end, so no adaptor required.

I don't have the camera readily available right now, so I cannot check how the card is formatted. Will FAT32 work?

Upvote 0
Will FAT32 work?
Yes.

File System​

Internal Drives
  • Btrfs
  • EXT4
External Drives
  • Btrfs
  • EXT4
  • EXT3
  • FAT
  • NTFS
  • HFS+
  • exFAT*
NotesexFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center.

Upvote 0
I've connected my GoPro to the NAS at the front USB Copy port and switched it on, and the GoPro displays USB Connection on its screen, yet the NAS does not recognise that the GoPro is there.

I have a 128 GB sd card in the GoPro and I installed the exFAT package.

Any other things I need to do?

Upvote 0
I've connected my GoPro to the NAS at the front USB Copy port and switched it on, and the GoPro displays USB Connection on its screen, yet the NAS does not recognise that the GoPro is there.

I have a 128 GB sd card in the GoPro and I installed the exFAT package.

Any other things I need to do?
So the device is not detected in the Control Panel > external devices?

Upvote 0
No, nor is it detected in the USB Copy package.
Well then, not much you can do atm. Even if the file format is not supported you should be able at least to detect the card. So not sure what to tell you now. Is it possible to pull the card out and connect it without the gopro device? Just to see if that will work.

Upvote 0
If there’s no way to set a GoPro into mass storage mode then it has to be an adapter. My normal camera is like this, which works with Mac Image Capture or its Nikon Transfer app. Or use an adapter: mine’s an Anker dual SD/microSD one.

Oh well it was a good idea 🤔

Upvote 0
I inserted my GoPro microSD card into my Garmin Sat Nav and plugged the Garmin's USB cable into the NAS and it detects it. USB Copy worked perfectly as well.
That will do it. Though my Garmin units seem to have the slowest USB interfaces. You must have an old cycling GPS or an outdoor one cos Garmin have been migrating to internal memory.

I'd still recommend getting an adapter over using the GPS, unless it's easy and transfers GB's quickly. My Etrex 35 touch needs the back off and batteries out to access the card slot and the alternative, where the slot is easily accessible, is my old Edge 810 that is sooooo slooooooooow. I dread updating the maps.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.