Usb copy help

Currently reading
Usb copy help

NAS
Synology
Operating system
  1. Windows
Dear experts, i have done a synology usb copy in my synology , since it's low on space I removed the external hard disk and connected another one and deleted old back up task...now I need to retrieve data from old hdd ...when connect to pc it says protect hdd . So how do I retrieve the data from old hdd that I disconnected without connecting back to synology.

Welcome to the forum

.when connect to pc it says protect hdd
considering USB copy does not support any protection in term of passwords or encryption, and the data copy is in basic file/folder structure, the only reason here would be disk format and your PC OS support.

What format is the USB disk in question? What OS are you using on the PC that you want data to be accessed?

Okay sorry ,so the hdd used for usb copy was removed synology and now I am pluging it into a hdd adapter and trying to connect to my windows 2022 server, to transfer the files. So when checking disk partition it says gpt protected mode. How to get data

Okay sorry ,so the hdd used for usb copy was removed synology and now I am pluging it into a hdd adapter
Was the disk connected via USB port or inside the NAS bay before you moved it to the server? Guessing it is the former. Again, what is the file system of the drive? Is it ext4?

Connect via usb..and the file system I am not sure it shows .I am attaching the screenshot.

Attachments

• 20231207_182947.jpg
    20231207_182947.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Connect via usb..and the file system I am not sure it shows .I am attaching the screenshot.
Ok and what is the file format when connected to the NAS? You can see that information inside the Control Panel > External devices. Considering your target is a windows based OS, this is expected. The drive is most likely an EXT4 drive and as such not readable by windows.

You will have to format the drive to another file format (like exFAT), backup the data again, and then it will be readable on the windows side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.