USB drive not (fully) recognized

Currently reading
USB drive not (fully) recognized

NAS
DS1019+
Hello,
i have a DS1019+ and did my backups in the past with hyperbackup on two Seagate Backup Plus Hub (in the compatibility list of the Disk station listed).
I got some IO Errors from hyperbackup (there is another thread on these), but after deleting the backups and formating the Disk the errors are gone on one drive.
for the second I waited with the procedure, because i could read the backup without issues, and it contained old backup points, so I did not want to format this disk immediately.

But now I saved the old backup, did a format on the second USB DIsk ... but do not find this Disk in the "File Station".
The Disk is listed under External devices
and I could create a Shared folder that I also see.
Comparing all settings/paraemters under "External devices" and "Shared Folders" i do not see any significant difference (OK, the name is differrent).

But the main difference is:
the second disk does not show up in the File station .. and therefore I can not use this in Hyperbackup as Backup location..

I can connect both Disks to my windows PC and do not see any difference in behavior/setup.
The only thing I just remember now: the second disk always had two partitions, where DSM always complained it can not read one small partition. when formatting the disk i removed all partions and have now just one partition (like on the first Disk). not sure if this could cause any issue..

I hope somebody has an idea what I could miss for the scond HDD in order to get it recognized any feedback is highly appreciated.

Hermann

Solution
I found the reason!
some google search pointed me to user/group permission.
even the Checkboxes have been set the same for both HDD and the users the second HDD was set to
"no access" for some groups.
I did not realize, but I guess the two columns "preview" and "Group permissions" in the "shared folder" "permission" tab would have shown some differences. I only looked to the checkboxes.

I'm still not sure what the "preview" folder is and how the priority of permissions between "Group", "user", "shared folder" and "External devices" is, but now I see the shares in my "File station".
I have no idea why Backup2 was handeled differently than Bakup1. Maybe a DSM update between format of Backup1 and Backup2 ?

anyhow, thanks for your...
Hi Rusty,

thanks for taking care.

I tried both,
- format with ntfs under windows
- fromat with EXT4 in DSM

with both cases the same effect. the second working HDD is formated with ntfs under windows .. never hat an issue with this one.
Crosschange (port/cable) with both HDD was done .. the issue sticks with Backup2 (so Backup1 is recogniced as usual on the other USB port and with the second USB cable).
The main difference that I see, is, that hte non working HDD had two partitions before I formated it (and I even do not remember where the small partition was coming from ... maybe from the original configuration of the Seagate Backup Plus HUB Hdd ?

Hermann

Upvote 0
Hi Rusty,

thanks for taking care.

I tried both,
- format with ntfs under windows
- fromat with EXT4 in DSM

with both cases the same effect. the second working HDD is formated with ntfs under windows .. never hat an issue with this one.
Crosschange (port/cable) with both HDD was done .. the issue sticks with Backup2 (so Backup1 is recogniced as usual on the other USB port and with the second USB cable).
The main difference that I see, is, that hte non working HDD had two partitions before I formated it (and I even do not remember where the small partition was coming from ... maybe from the original configuration of the Seagate Backup Plus HUB Hdd ?

Hermann
Try and use a non-Synology system to remove all the partitions and then connect the drive to DSM and format it. Maybe that partition is causing issues.

Upvote 0
This this had two partitions before I formated it .. it was working fine .. even a small partition that was on it was marked as "not recogniced", but the big one that I used was shown as File station as shared folder.
Since I removed all partitions on my external PC, and re-formated it does not show up in the "File station" any more.
then I tried to format it with ext4 on the DSM, still not recogniced.
I reformated this to ntfs (as this is the target filesystem to allow simple reading of hte backup on any PC), and it still does not work. this time I did not use the "fast format", and it took several hours, but it still is not recognized.
I just tried another USB disk ... also this is not recognized ..
my assumption was, that my Backup1 disk is behaving normally, by beeing recognized and show up in the "File Station". This was my first experience when using external USB HDD..
but now i'm not sure any more.
It seems, that there is automatically a "usbshareX-X" generated when connecting a USB harddisk. For my backups I renamed this to "BackupX". I have to admit, that currently I'm not sure how to do this, because when I try change e. g. the name of this share under "Shared folder" i get the message "The Sahred folder name is either reserved for system use only or already existed, Please try a different name."
I also can not delete this Shared folder, I get the message "The following shared folders are reserved for system use and cannot be deleted: usbhshare1-2"

Not sure if my re-naming of my "shared Folders" on my USB HDD could cause any strange behavior ?!?!?
maybe I need to do something in addition ????

Thanks again for your patience and support!!!

Hermann

Upvote 0
I found the reason!
some google search pointed me to user/group permission.
even the Checkboxes have been set the same for both HDD and the users the second HDD was set to
"no access" for some groups.
I did not realize, but I guess the two columns "preview" and "Group permissions" in the "shared folder" "permission" tab would have shown some differences. I only looked to the checkboxes.

I'm still not sure what the "preview" folder is and how the priority of permissions between "Group", "user", "shared folder" and "External devices" is, but now I see the shares in my "File station".
I have no idea why Backup2 was handeled differently than Bakup1. Maybe a DSM update between format of Backup1 and Backup2 ?

anyhow, thanks for your answers .. this helped me to find the solution!!!!

Hermann

P.S. I understand, that all of this is logical and guess working correctly .. but I think it should be possible to implement such access right a bit simpler..

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back