Use Drive to replace Cloud Station Backup?

Currently reading
Use Drive to replace Cloud Station Backup?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1019+, DS218+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I think I might have had the wrong idea about Drive, I thought it was just a sync folder like Dropbox. I've only just realised that as well as the default Drive folder you can setup more tasks to sync different folders on your computers to a Synology.

At the moment I'm using Cloud Station Backup to backup/sync folders from a few computers to my Synology. As it looks like the 'Cloud Station' apps will be eventually be discontinued in favour of Drive I'm wondering if I should start using Drive on my computers, one way syncing important folders to back them up to the Synology? (The Synology will backup that data elsewhere via Hyper Backup and Snapshot Replication.)

Drive has two main features:
# Data availability - data sync, versioning and data sharing for a collaboration everywhere and anytime
# First layer of data backup - each specific folders/data from client are moved to NAS immediately from the points of data create or data change

As it looks like the 'Cloud Station' apps will be eventually be discontinued in favour of Drive
Yes, you should. All other app will eventually be deprecated and swapped with Drive. Same thing happened to Time Backup tool when HyperBackup arrived.

Thanks, I'll start using Drive instead.

One thing I've noticed when setting it up, if I want to add folders to backup from my computer's Home folder (Documents, Pictures, Music etc.) I have to add each folder as a separate task. It says I can't select the whole Home folder (then select certain sub folders) as there's already a sync task there (Drive folder).

I guess I could move the Drive folder elsewhere, but is there no way to select subfolders of my Home folder as one task other than doing this? (Moving Drive elsewhere.)

In Drive, i've setup to sync My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos and My Music to the homedirs on my NAS'es. 2-way sync (so it also allows editting from NAS side if you need to access personal files from anywhere in the world and dont have original device with you). Works well.

One from many solutions for Win enviro:

How to Change the XYZ Folder Storage Location
Right-click XYZ (on the desktop), and then click Properties/Location.
Type the new path for the XYZ folder, or click Move to browse to the folder and if needed, create a new XYZ folder. If the path you type does not exist, you are prompted to confirm that you want to create a new folder.
Click Yes to move files from the old XYZ location to the new location, or click No if you do not want to move these files. Note that if you click No, the files in the old location are not deleted, but they are no longer visible from XYZ after the change.
This is the way how to change the Folder location to new Drive folder.

In Drive, i've setup to sync My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos and My Music to the homedirs on my NAS'es. 2-way sync (so it also allows editting from NAS side if

Do you mean you moved those folders into the Drive folder, or that you've added those folders as individual sync tasks? I don't really want to move everything in there, so I'll probably move the Drive folder somewhere else :)

@jeyare We don't have any Windows machines, only Macs and an Intel NUC running Ubuntu. Thanks anyway (y)

I have a slightly contrary view about moving from Cloud Station Backup (to DSM Drive) to Synology Drive for backup. The reason being the destination on DSM for backup data.

If you are already using Syno Drive to do a Dropbox-style service with your /home/Drive folder then you cannot set up a second task to somewhere within /home/Drive. Doesn't matter if the first task is excluding the folders you want to store the backups.

This means that using Syno Drive for doing a backup (one-way) task must use a Team folder as its target. And this is the reason I keep using Cloud Server Backup: the DSM admin must ensure that Team folder / shared folder privileges are set correctly to limit access from other DSM users whether from Drive apps or other methods. It is do-able but needs testing and many NAS owners will struggle to do this.

So, for now, I would rather use Cloud Station Backup on Mac (etc) to backup to DSM Drive. The destination this setup uses it the DSM user's /home/Drive/Backup/<device name> folder, and access privileges are already correctly configured. Obvs. you need to exclude this folder from syncing back on the two-way task.

The current desktop apps for Cloud Server Backup have been updated recently, and there's a Mac 64-bit version ready for MacOS 10.15 "some desert" dropping 31-bit support in the summer.

@fredbert Right, I came across this a few months ago when I briefly played around with Drive, then switched to Cloud Station ShareSync, Cloud Station Backup etc.

I ended up creating a new shared folder and keeping all of my 'regular' data in there. The only thing in my Home folder is Drive.

I'm looking at using Drive again, but it seems you can't sync the Drive folders (or Team folders?) between a few different NAS? At the moment I have a 'general sync' folder that I share some misc. files between 2 NAS at home and one offsite at my parent's using Cloud Station ShareSync on 2 of the NAS, and Drive Admin Console on my 'main' NAS. I haven't found a way to do this with Drive yet 😐

Cloud Station ShareSync will work with DSM's Drive (wish there was an easy way to distinguish names between DSM package and client app) just like Cloud Station Backup apps.

CS ShareSync, when connected to Drive, will present a list of the Team folders that are configured within Drive Admin. You need to add the shared folders as Team folders to Drive Admin, then they will be accessible to your other NAS. As I said before, you need to make sure that access privileges are set correctly for these folders so that only the correct users can use them (suggest looking at creating a local group or permitted users?)

Cloud Station ShareSync will work with DSM's Drive (wish there was an easy way to distinguish names between DSM package and client app) just like Cloud Station Backup apps.

CS ShareSync, when connected to Drive, will present a list of the Team folders that are configured within Drive Admin. You need to add the shared folders as Team folders to Drive Admin, then they will be accessible to your other NAS.
Yes, I already do this with a shared folder outside of my Home folder. But if I understand correctly you can't share the Drive folder (located in the Home folder) and it's contents from 1 NAS with other NAS (so the 'Drive folder' would sync between 3 different NAS (in my case). Is that correct?

But if I understand correctly you can't share the Drive folder... from 1 NAS with other NAS ... . Is that correct?
Yes that certainly seems to be the case, CS ShareSync only displays Team folders, not /Drive folders.

The only thing I see, and a complete hack, would be for users to set up Cloud Sync on each NAS and use WebDAV to their Drive folder on NAS 1. What the sync implications would be? Who knows, and a pain to maintain.

Yea, I thought that was the case.

I already run Resilio Sync for a few things, so I guess I could setup a sync for the Drive folders between the 3 NAS. But it seems bizarre that this can't be don't 'normally' with Synology's apps 🤨

If you are already using Syno Drive to do a Dropbox-style service with your /home/Drive folder then you cannot set up a second task to somewhere within /home/Drive. Doesn't matter if the first task is excluding the folders you want to store the backups.
This is true, however, if you instead, set up Drive sync beginning with folders under "Drive" then you can set up multiple tasks without involving Team folders. For example...
UK658hS.png

But back to the thread title... Drive is not backup. If you want backup using Syno pkgs, run Cloud Station Backup (w/Drive already installed).

This is true, however, if you instead, set up Drive sync beginning with folders under "Drive" then you can set up multiple tasks without involving Team folders. For example...
OK. That's a subtle difference: Select Drive folder and unselect things not to sync will stop multiple tasks using /home/Drive; Drill down and only select one folder within Drive per task and then you can do it.

Never thought not sync from my Drive root folder. (y)

Yea, although Cloud Station Backup or Cloud Station ShareSync or Drive are one way syncing to my NAS, that is backing up with Hyper Backup and Snapshot Replication to another NAS at home and another NAS offsite multiple times a day. So fingers crossed that my data should be OK :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.