Currently reading
User folders

NAS
DS118
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I will be currently using quickconnect, with 2 users + admin. Just wondering if ALL my files should go into my User/Drive folder or should some also go into my User folder?
I know certain functions can only be accessed for files within the User/Drive folder. For files that I won't be needing those functions for, would those be better to be in the User folder, rather than in the User/Drive folder? What is best practice and why?

Drive enables you to sync files across devices, and version files. If you don't need that, uninstall Drive. Think of Drive as your personal "Dropbox".

If your NAS is ext4 formatted, Drive causes a storage doubling of all versioned files (not so with btrfs). In that circumstance, limit storing files within Drive to those that you need to sync to other devices (ex., PC).

"(not so with btrfs)"
I am almost certain that my NAS is in the btrfs format. But how do I check? I had a look around in DSM and could not find that information to confirm.

Thanks, it's ext4.
In that case Drive will duplicate all files/folders selected for versioning. For documents this is likely manageable, but for media files it can be huge. AFAIK, non-versioned files/folders in Drive are not duplicated.

You can monitor the impact of versioning by SSHing into your NAS and viewing the size of the @synologydrive folder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.