Using C2 Object Storage as an offside/cloud backup. Can it be trusted?

Currently reading
Using C2 Object Storage as an offside/cloud backup. Can it be trusted?

NAS
DS920+, DS916+, DS211j
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Greetings,
Is there anyone utilizing C2 Object Storage as a backup solution for HyperBack? Can we place our reliance on Synology with regards to protecting our information even if it's encrypted?
It is indeed an enticing feature, specifically due to HB's built-in S3 capability. However, I do harbor some apprehensions regarding the safety and security of my data. While I'm aware that one could opt for client-side encryption, an action I have taken whilst testing this service, I am still undecided.
What are your thoughts on the matter?

Can it also be used for Docker-Folder backup?
Yes it can. You can use it to backup any folder that Hyper Backup can see.

I have been using the C2 storage for important backups for things that change fast and then IDrive's E2 bucket storage the the bulk of my remaining backups. I have about 4 TB's in IDrive and just under a TB in C2. I agree it's importing to encrypt before sending to any cloud services which Hyper Backup does do if you tick the option and provide a password. I tested many restores from both locations and they worked fine. The only thing I never had to do and hopefully never have to is to do a full NAS restore from the cloud providers.

Is it also imperative to encrypt a local backup? For instance, if I use HyperBack to backup data on any other local NAS or USB drive. Or, is it deemed as just an overindulgence?
Currently, I'm not encrypting my local backups.

How likely is someone gong to break into your home and walk off with the other NAS? Is the other NAS open to the internet? Is someone snooping on the packets gong from your primary NAS to the backup NAS. Those are the questions I ask myself and then I return to it doesn't hurt to encrypt as a factor of protection.

A person would need to have the Hyper Backup or Hyper Backup restore application to bring them back and the password or key file that is generated. As long as you are diligent with the password and keep the key file in a Incase of Emergency (ICE) location separate from the NAS in a secure location and on another device that is less likely to be destroyed in a fire encryption is always the way to go.

When my mom was alive I kept a copy of my key files at her home locked in her lockbox and her keys were locked up here at my home in my lockbox.

How likely is someone gong to break into your home and walk off with the other NAS? Is the other NAS open to the internet? Is someone snooping on the packets gong from your primary NAS to the backup NAS. Those are the questions I ask myself and then I return to it doesn't hurt to encrypt as a factor of protection.

A person would need to have the Hyper Backup or Hyper Backup restore application to bring them back and the password or key file that is generated. As long as you are diligent with the password and keep the key file in a Incase of Emergency (ICE) location separate from the NAS in a secure location and on another device that is less likely to be destroyed in a fire encryption is always the way to go.

When my mom was alive I kept a copy of my key files at her home locked in her lockbox and her keys were locked up here at my home in my lockbox.
Hmm, that is a thought-provoking point! You have a valid argument!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.