Using DX513 with a DS1821+

NAS
DS1817+, DS1821+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
I have just upgraded my DS1817+ (8x10 Tb, DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2) to a DS1821+ (8x14 Tb, DSM 6.2.4-25556). I had two working DX513 units on the DS1817+ but after transferring the first one to the DS1821+ it doesn't accept it (there's no entry in Storage Manager). The DX513 has light in the "eSata" LED and the HDD LEDs are flashing occasionally, first all 5 off and on and then one after another off and on (from left to right). "Status" is off, which supposedly means "Not working".

When I upgraded to the DS1817+ (from DS1813) there was no issue, so I didn't expect one with the DS1821+ either.

Is it impossible to use a DX513 with a DS1821+? I don't mind if it doesn't run at full speed (I read somewhere that there was an upgrade to eSata to higher speeds), as long as I can access the data on it. Is there a setting I can make to get it to accept the DX513s?

If I decide to upgrade the DX513s to DX517s are the discs directly transferable, ie. can I take them out of the DX513 and plug them into the DX517 (in the same slots, left-to-right, of course). They are using SHR with 1-disk fault tolerance. One is 5x4 Tb and the other 5x6 Tb. They are in separate storage pools (ie. 3 pools in all - the DS1817+ itself, and one for each DX513).

I have returned the unit to my DS1817+ and it works there, so there must be some incompatibility or setting problem on the DS1821+

Please help...

Hopefully someone with Expansion Unit experience will come along with a definitive answer. I would have assumed that the drives can be simply swapped out of DX513 to DX517.

Here the compatibility info on the Synology website.

Upvote 0
the volume on the 513 is easily transferred to the 517. once the 517 is attached to the 1821+ and powered up DSM should recognize and walk you through importing it.
Could you elaborate? How does the 1821+ import it from the DX513 onto the DX517? It doesn't recognize the DX513 when it is attached.

Can I just unplug the drives from the DX513 and insert them into the DX517?

Upvote 0
Can I just unplug the drives from the DX513 and insert them into the DX517?
I think that is the implication of "513 is easily transferred to the 517". Have both units powered down then swap the drives from the 513 to the 517. Connect the 517 to the NAS and away you go.

Upvote 0
It worked - the DS1821+ accepted the HDDs from the DX513 when I inserted them into the DX517.

This leads me to another question:

Can I re-assign the /volumeX numbers after the fact? The DS1821+ have assigned "wrong" volume numbers. I have some software that has stored these paths in their database, and would like to have the names the same as in my DS1817+ for the two bays...

Upvote 0
Plex website has instruction for moving the media library. Something like this, or you can google it.

Upvote 0
Plex website has instruction for moving the media library. Something like this, or you can google it.

Thanks - unfortunately, this won't work in my setup, the reason being that the video files in question are home movies & private photos, where I have made a lot of custom editing to the entries, and Plex isn't very good to "adopt" the new location into the same database entries as the old ones, so I'll end up with a lot of entries where I have two entries for a home movie - the old one (which doesn't exist anymore) with a lot of manual editing done, and a new one where (without these edits).

I could then - manually - go through the libraries and merge the new ones into the old ones, but we are talking thousands of entries, so it would be a last resort.

I'd like to try the "edit path to files" path instead, so I'll need a good SQLite Database Editor. I have found a description of the Plex Database layout - only need a tool to enable me to update the DB.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Thanks - but, strangely enough, it says "No entities" when I load the DB?? Any other utility?
-- post merged: --

That one seems to work - at least I can see all the tables...

Thanks - but, strangely enough, it says "No entities" when I load the DB?? Any other utility?

That one seems to work - at least I can see all the tables...
Okay - it seems like there's two places that I need to edit (shown here for others to benefit):

media_parts.file = Full Path
section_locations.root_path = Directories belonging to libraries

Anyone well versed in SQLite SQL to supply me with the general syntax for a string field content replace, something along the lines of

UPDATE media_parts SET file = REPLACE(file,'/volume2/','/volume4/') WHERE file LIKE '/volume2/%'

to update all /volume2/ references to /volume4/ references...

Upvote 0
Sorry for being late for this thread. I also have a DS1821+ and the DX513 doesn't work with the DS1821+. The DX513 works well with older models like the DS1511+. The DX517 is the one to use with the latest models. I walked over to the Synology HQ and asked to check.

Here is the link to the working models for the DX517:

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.