Using Hyper Backup and UnRAID

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a DS218+ as my main server and an UnRAID server as a backup. Both NAS’s are on the same network but in separate buildings. Several important directories are also stored in the cloud in Dropbox. My data is mainly photo’s, Plex, personal data and music recordings.

I am using Hyper Backup for Business to back up my laptop and desktop pc’s to the Synology NAS. I also want to use Hyper Backup to backup the DS218+ to my UnRAID server using Rsync but are having trouble implementing the process. This is what this post is all about – backing up Synology to UnRAID.

I have tried unsuccessfully to implement the Rsysnc procedure in this post from the UnRAID community Backup Synology to Unraid | Beatifica Bytes but it requires some configuration in UnRAID using Linux of which I am a complete newb. I have tried to setup the UnRAID end correctly in Linux but still can’t get my Hyper backup to connect using its Rsysnc client. (I am reasonably familiar with how Rsync works from my experience at work where we used to back up our data server to an Rsync server set up on my home computer. The nutty-gritty of this was setup by our IT consultant but it wasn’t using a Synology or UnRAID).

It is a bit surprising the UnRAID community hasn’t got an UnRAID add-on for this task as I am sure that many others will want to backup their Synology NAS’s to UnRAID. I have followed the post above closely but can’t get it working. I am not too sure of what do from here. Has anybody in this community have any experience in implementing this procedure and can offer some advice?

I look forward to any assistance that can be provided.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I am using Hyper Backup for Business to back up my laptop and desktop pc’s to the Synology NAS.
Do you mean Active Backup for Business? It's not related to Hyper Backup so probably a bit of a red herring WRT the problem you're experiencing.

I've not used UnRAID as a rsync destination but did for a while use an Iomega/Lenovo NAS. The Hyper Backup tasks from the Synology NAS worked ok. Have you been able to confirm that rsync is working and connectable (if that's a word) from a different device?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Do you mean Active Backup for Business? It's not related to Hyper Backup so probably a bit of a red herring WRT the problem you're experiencing.

I've not used UnRAID as a rsync destination but did for a while use an Iomega/Lenovo NAS. The Hyper Backup tasks from the Synology NAS worked ok. Have you been able to confirm that rsync is working and connectable (if that's a word) from a different device?
-- post merged: --

Woops....yes, I did mean Active Backup for Business. But my problem is with Hyper Backup and Rsync. I haven't been able to check the Rsync connection on unRAID - not too sure how to:) The process I went through appears pretty straightforward apart from having some difficulties with the Linux tasks in unRAID. I see that others have got it working via the docuement in that link.

Upvote 0
I am using the unRaid root login. I have setup as per that document but it just doesn't connect. DSM port is shown as 22 on the File services ->rsync tab but on Hyper Backup rsync screen it is 873 - is my problem something to do with ports?

Upvote 0
No, I wasn't able to get it working. An alternative is to use Rsync but that is a command line process and I was never quite sure why it was taking so long... I wasn't confidant that I had reliable backups. I think I need an expert to look into my setup as that Syniology to Unraid routine is just what I am looking for.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.