1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I’ve RT6600ax meshed with WRX560 which gives good coverage. However, I’ve still got a RT2600ac and MR2200ac on SRM 1.3 doing nothing anymore.

I was thinking it would be useful to have one of the older routers setup as an occasional wireless extender to boost signals across the garden. But d’oh! They removed wireless extending in SRM 1.3. So I started to investigate rolling back the old routers to SRM 1.2 in order to recover this behaviours (may be only was in RT2600ac).

Not sure how long I spent on this before realising ‘of course they removed this operational mode’ … just add the old router as another mesh access point and switch it off when not needed. I just have to remember to have all meshed routers switched on when doing a firmware update.

Sometimes it’s so easy to overlook the obvious solution.

I just use two MR2200ACs, in a DoubleNAT scenario, they run as a mesh serving an IOT and Guest network, enabling my RT60600AX to Route and to use 5.9Ghz for my main Wifi Network (Setting region to USA helps).

RT6600 AX is Connected via Cat6 to MR2200AC (Also acts a router) connected via CAT 6 to second MR2200AC (House is fully cabled with CAT 6) Wifi wise, I run 20HMz 2.4 and 40Mhz on 5Ghz with the MR2200AC while I allows 160MHz on 5Ghz-1 on the 6600AX. I also use AC & AX devices only on the main wifi network. As the 600AX can then use Hi power, it works really well even over a relatively large 3 storey (200m2 house)

I have had no issues doing this and it generally means a faster and more stable main wifi network compared to the mesh system and devices stay connected to the correct Access point

Use an old Linksys E2000 as wired WIFI access point in non-attached garage. It is far enough from house that it is only 5 GHz signal seen when there, so no issues with drop & connect between house & garage in 5 years. Has worked fine as WIFI & 3 port Switch for other devices, too, and didn’t cost anything, as it was being replaced with the 2600 anyhow….

Mine is 2.5 GbE back haul between the AX routers, via multi-gig managed switch. That's the main network, but I was trying to find a way to use the MR2200ac on an occasional basis. Thinking old school wireless extender before it occurred to me that adding as a mesh AP achieved the same result. I had considered using the old routers as isolating firewalls but at present I don't have much call for such a set up.

I haven't any stability issues either, it was more a 'can I?' than 'I need to'.

I just use two MR2200ACs, in a DoubleNAT scenario, they run as a mesh serving an IOT and Guest network,
A good use to isolate the IoT and guest networks to specific hardware and I guess it will stop fiddling with the MR2200ac's LAN ports to get primary LAN access (if you'd just used these as APs on the RT6600ax's network).

Mine is 2.5 GbE back haul between the AX routers, via multi-gig managed switch. That's the main network, but I was trying to find a way to use the MR2200ac on an occasional basis. Thinking old school wireless extender before it occurred to me that adding as a mesh AP achieved the same result. I had considered using the old routers as isolating firewalls but at present I don't have much call for such a set up.

I haven't any stability issues either, it was more a 'can I?' than 'I need to'.

A good use to isolate the IoT and guest networks to specific hardware and I guess it will stop fiddling with the MR2200ac's LAN ports to get primary LAN access (if you'd just used these as APs on the RT6600ax's network).
What benefit do you achieve using the 2.5Gbe ports? Your ISP connection is using 1Gb, unless youre accessing a connected SSD via one of the 6600AXs and even with a fast USB 3.1 Gen2, I still havent seen faster than 112MBps from the SSD. I dont think the SOC/CPU has the horsepower to run SMB as well as TP, DNS Server and VPN Server at max speed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.