Using OS drive in new NAS

Currently reading
Using OS drive in new NAS

NAS
DS918+,DS716+ii
I'm trying to upgrade my 4-bay DS918+ from using just 1x 10TB drive to setting up a 3x 10TB SHR RAID, plus use an old 2-bay DS716+ as a backup device. I only set the 918 up with one drive at the start as money was tighter and I thought I could build a RAID array over time, no realising I had to format the drives to do this :(

To get this upgrade going, I was planning to remove my current single drive and setup the 918 fresh with 3 new drives and build the RAID array that way. Then I was hoping to re-insert my original drive so that I can just copy over my data to the new pool. Will this work; will the NAS detect the original drive as a new storage pool or will I get a conflict as that original drive will have the OS loaded on it from the current setup?

If I can do it this way, that would save me having to setup the 716 first, copy all my data across (~8TB), setup the RAID in the 918 and then copy the data back.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

You could just add the 3 drives along with the current one and make a new volume from 3 drives (SHR for example). Then, migrate the data from 1x10 volume to the new 3x10 volume. Once that is done, destroy the initial single drive volume/pool, add the drive to your 3x10 volume and let it rebuild and expand.

Well I was going to take the current 10tb and put that in my ds716 as a backup device, paired with another 10TB drive I'll purchase next month (not worried about reading them as there just for backup).

My worry was the current 10TB drive having the OS on; you're saying that'll move to the new 3x10tb pool when I wipe the initial 10tb drive?

Once you install 3x10 as a new volume, DSM will be installed on it as well. So you will have no problem pulling 1x10 out.

The only thing that you need to do before pulling the drive is to migrate the data, and deinstall/install apps from volume 1 (1x10) to volume 2 (3x10). Once all that is done, you can delete the volume/poll 1, and merge it to volume 2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.