Verification of Secure Erase Process

NAS
DS716+II
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Greetings from Down Under

This is my first post on the forum and I apologize in advance that this is a request for assistance as opposed to a worthwhile contribution to the community.

I also apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum as the choice is quite overwhelming, and fully expect to be "reprimanded" for what, to some, might seem like a stupid mistake.

Anyway, my question is as follows:

After a succession of "drive failing" messages relating to a relatively brand new Seagate Iron Wolf 8TB drive, and after contacting the supplier to agree to a a replacement, I deactivated the drive and opted for a "Secure Erase" via DSM.

All appeared to be proceeding as expected, reaching 80% "erasure", but the apparent conclusion of the deletion coincided with my having to leave the house to head to work.

Question is, while I assume everything completed OK, how can I be 100% secure that the drive has been "securely erased" before I hand it back and get a replacement from the vendor.

There is nothing in the logs (as far as I can tell) which tells me the situation.

Don't be too hard on me :)

Thanks

Note: This relates to a DS716+II running DSM 7.1.1-42962

Question is, while I assume everything completed OK, how can I be 100% secure that the drive has been "securely erased" before I hand it back and get a replacement from the vendor.
You cannot. "Secure Erase" is not forensically secure. Examine your sectors. You'll need to wipe the drive off-NAS.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back