Verification of Secure Erase Process

NAS
DS716+II
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Greetings from Down Under

This is my first post on the forum and I apologize in advance that this is a request for assistance as opposed to a worthwhile contribution to the community.

I also apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum as the choice is quite overwhelming, and fully expect to be "reprimanded" for what, to some, might seem like a stupid mistake.

Anyway, my question is as follows:

After a succession of "drive failing" messages relating to a relatively brand new Seagate Iron Wolf 8TB drive, and after contacting the supplier to agree to a a replacement, I deactivated the drive and opted for a "Secure Erase" via DSM.

All appeared to be proceeding as expected, reaching 80% "erasure", but the apparent conclusion of the deletion coincided with my having to leave the house to head to work.

Question is, while I assume everything completed OK, how can I be 100% secure that the drive has been "securely erased" before I hand it back and get a replacement from the vendor.

There is nothing in the logs (as far as I can tell) which tells me the situation.

Don't be too hard on me :)

Thanks

Note: This relates to a DS716+II running DSM 7.1.1-42962

Question is, while I assume everything completed OK, how can I be 100% secure that the drive has been "securely erased" before I hand it back and get a replacement from the vendor.
You cannot. "Secure Erase" is not forensically secure. Examine your sectors. You'll need to wipe the drive off-NAS.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.