2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS

Version: 1.2.5-8227 Update 2​

(2021-09-23)
Important Note

The update will be available for selected regions within the following weeks, although the release time in each region may vary slightly.

Fixed Issues

1. Fixed the issue where a mesh Wi-Fi system might not work properly when MAC cloning is enabled on MR2200ac and RT2600ac.

Source: Release Notes for SRM | Synology Inc.

As noted last Friday :cool:

Nope. Did an auto update, both devices were done. Why?
Great, heard that update-2 caused for some DHCP issues on guest network, devices could not get IP assigned. Mine being in AP mode, mesh and using guest network for IOT, sourcing similar setup. my network guest dhcp is default no option to modify unless in full router mode.

do you use your guest network in your AP setup. Also is your mesh with MR2200 wired or wifi back haul?

Right! Stop ✋

I rarely use guest network. Have just connected to it and I could only get a self-assigned IP, so to answer your question: DHCP on the guest network doesn’t seem to be working.

We used it for the kids friends but haven’t need to use it for ages, as you can guess.

The two units are wired backhaul.

Ok thank you so much for confirming the issue, I won't be upgrading and will report it to support to fix it. I use guest for friends/family and IOT and it would provide the default scope of 192.168.2.x /24.

You're a life saver, I'd have to reconfigure my devices to use my network SSID as a workaround which would kill my security comfort. Not sure why Synology never does any proper testing to make sure it does not break anything else.

Last edited:
I unplugged the wired back haul to force the MR2200ac to use WiFi. Then the guest DHCP worked. Plugged the ethernet back into the MR2200ac and it reverted to not working.

I do use two switches between the MR2200ac and RT2600ac. They have 802.11Q VLANs: the default #1 covers all ports on both switches; #1733* guest VLAN covers the RT2600ac and MR2200ac ports and also the LAG ports that interconnects the switches.

Why should the main network DHCP work but the guest network DHCP fails on wired connection? I've not used the two routers without wired back haul so know the guest network used to work.

EDIT: I didn't always have the guest VLAN 1733 configured so have just deleted it and it made no difference, gust DHCP still didn't work.

*Synology says that this is the VLAN number they use for the guest network.

Last edited:
I unplugged the wired back haul to force the MR2200ac to use WiFi. Then the guest DHCP worked. Plugged the ethernet back into the MR2200ac and it reverted to not working.

I do use two switches between the MR2200ac and RT2600ac. They have 802.11Q VLANs: the default #1 covers all ports on both switches; #1733* guest VLAN covers the RT2600ac and MR2200ac ports and also the LAG ports that interconnects the switches.

Why should the main network DHCP work but the guest network DHCP fails on wired connection? I've not used the two routers without wired back haul so know the guest network used to work.

EDIT: I didn't always have the guest VLAN 1733 configured so have just deleted it and it made no difference, gust DHCP still didn't work.

*Synology says that this is the VLAN number they use for the guest network.
Thanks, this is weird have the same setup my RT2600 (AP) connects to my firewall which my firewall provides the DHCP assignments on main SSID for 2.4/5. I also don't have switch between the RT/MR it's straight ethernet connection on LAN port 4 which doesn't matter as there is nothing between them and vlan should be seen.

guest network always provides 192.168.2.x which than hides behind the RT2600 AP LAN IP (NAT) you have the option to allow it to see your local network which I leave it unchecked for isolation.

But it's interesting that if you unplug the ethernet between RT/MR and running it Wifi backhaul it works. I'll report that to Synology as the case study.

what one person said is after the update shut the MR and start it up again. Not sure if that will do anything to try. Here is the link, check it out.

My RT2600ac is in router mode as my Internet firewall/gateway plus DHCP server for main/guest networks then, obviously, the MR2200ac is a meshed access point. It's probably more typical for most owners, but I see the similarity as my switches are analogous to your firewall's switch in between your SRM devices.

ah Ok, so that's the difference in our setup both my RT/MR are AP mode. RT2600 DHCP is via Checkpoint Firewall, MR2200 DHCP is via RT2600 AP, all default settings out of the box. It still does not explain the workaround to use WiFi as backhaul to fix the Dhcp on Guest network.

More insight via this link Synology Community with same problems and if you use static IP range vs. DHCP seems to work. Unfortunately that won't work for me as those options are not available when you go AP you lose router functionality.

It is also only an issue for me if the device is connected to the wired MR2200ac mesh AP. I just moved to be next to the RT2600ac and toggled iPhone WiFi off/on to force it to definitely connect, which it did and it also got assigned settings by DHCP. Went back to next to the MR220ac and after a few seconds the phone connected to it and lost network configuration.

I'll have a look at the Community. But I'm not interested in having guests manually configure their devices, the DHCP has to work.

Last edited:
fully aligned, dhcp is priority. lets see what support has to say, not sure if you will clock a ticket with them but maybe worth while so they see the growing issue. Not sure if you tried to power off the MR and on to see if that does anything ?

Wondering but not going to try as I can't afford it with WFH and family connects lots to MR2200 if I would encounter the same issues, my setup being a bit different that all is AP the Rt/MR/.

not sure if you will clock a ticket with them but maybe worth while so they see the growing issue.
Just done it.

Not sure if you tried to power off the MR and on to see if that does anything ?
Yes and no change.

Wondering but not going to try as I can't afford it with WFH and family
I was wondering similar. I could more easily move the MR2200ac to be 5m (longest spare cable) away from the RT2600ac then see what happens without the switches in between. It will be tricky to guarantee which router the phone connects with this close range.

Just done it.

Yes and no change.

I was wondering similar. I could more easily move the MR2200ac to be 5m (longest spare cable) away from the RT2600ac then see what happens without the switches in between. It will be tricky to guarantee which router the phone connects with this close range.
I asked someone else and they said they have RT2600ac w/4 MR2200 no issues but wondering to see if it's ethernet or wifi plus trying to get synology to replicate my environment using RT/MR all in AP. but worth a try for you at least you will know so long it connect to the MR.

@firebird TL/DR: I think I got my guest DHCP working over the wired connection through two switches.

Sunday afternoon, post walk, post lunch, thought I'd see if tweaking the VLAN settings on the switches. A bit dozy, but nothing too hard. OMG I wish I hadn't started down this road! Have just spent the last hour or so coaxing the big switch back into its previous configuration. Luckily once I finally got access I could upload a saved file.

What I thought to do was see what happened with default VLAN settings (i.e. as near to unmanaged switch setup). I vaguely thought that used to work. Well whatever I did was to nuke the home LAN.

Once it was all back and working I did see a change in VLAN 1 (default system VLAN with all ports set as untagged). I now had LAG 1 and 2 included in VLAN 1, and I'm sure they weren't listed before. LAG 1 is down to the small unmanaged switch which supports static LAG and VLANs, but here's the difference: small switch VLANs are 802.11Q assigned on just ports, not LAGs. But I now see that the managed switch allows assignment of VLANs for ports and/or LAGs.

I re-did the big switch VLAN 1733 and also added LAG 1 to the bunch of tagged ports previously included. I think this has fixed it as I've the iPhone connected to the MR2200ac on the guest network and it has its network settings properly configured. I also see the iPhone's MAC address in the switch and its on VLAN 1733 using port 'LAG1'.

Now I'm lying down Atom Heart Mother on the turntable, a book, and something calming to drink. Not touching kit again today ;)

@firebird TL/DR: I think I got my guest DHCP working over the wired connection through two switches.

Sunday afternoon, post walk, post lunch, thought I'd see if tweaking the VLAN settings on the switches. A bit dozy, but nothing too hard. OMG I wish I hadn't started down this road! Have just spent the last hour or so coaxing the big switch back into its previous configuration. Luckily once I finally got access I could upload a saved file.

What I thought to do was see what happened with default VLAN settings (i.e. as near to unmanaged switch setup). I vaguely thought that used to work. Well whatever I did was to nuke the home LAN.

Once it was all back and working I did see a change in VLAN 1 (default system VLAN with all ports set as untagged). I now had LAG 1 and 2 included in VLAN 1, and I'm sure they weren't listed before. LAG 1 is down to the small unmanaged switch which supports static LAG and VLANs, but here's the difference: small switch VLANs are 802.11Q assigned on just ports, not LAGs. But I now see that the managed switch allows assignment of VLANs for ports and/or LAGs.

I re-did the big switch VLAN 1733 and also added LAG 1 to the bunch of tagged ports previously included. I think this has fixed it as I've the iPhone connected to the MR2200ac on the guest network and it has its network settings properly configured. I also see the iPhone's MAC address in the switch and its on VLAN 1733 using port 'LAG1'.

Now I'm lying down Atom Heart Mother on the turntable, a book, and something calming to drink. Not touching kit again today ;)
Thanks @fredbert this is really great news and glad it's sorted for you, sorry I guess I stared it :). So this now makes sense when you stated that flipping backhaul to Wifi DHCP worked on guest network but on ethernet it did not.

So in theory and I guess I'll find out next weekend, my setup being RT2600 AP mode mesh to MR2200 via backhaul ethernet (no switches, straight cable) it should be fine for me. My main SSID's get there DHCP from my checkpoint firewall but for guest network it will get it from RT2600 AP default 192.168.2.x as it's current state?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.